Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

network23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
My son saved up his money to buy an iPod Touch. We bought it this morning and have been trying to get it registered and set up through iTunes Store. The computer he uses the most is an XP box and the problems we're having trying to register it in Windows are a nightmare!

First, the registration process we hit first when he plugged in the iPod forced him to enter a credit card number. There was no option for None. Doing some searching, I found a suggestion to buy an App and create an Apple Account that way. I tried that and thankfully was able to select None when we hit the credit card option screen using that method.

Then iTunes sent us the verification email. When I clicked on it the first time, I got a pop up (not sure if it was from Firefox or from Windows) asking me which app I wanted to launch with this link. I choose iTunes. When iTunes launched, it went to the verification screen, but then it gave me an error

We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (11111). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later.

At one point, I thought maybe I could a credit card number and remove it later, but when I did, it tells me there is already an account with that name, so iTunes has essentially locked out his email address because we haven't been able to verify it.

I've tried this multiple times this afternoon. I've tried different email addresses. No luck. Any ideas? This really sucks and my son is not happy.

Thanks!

H.isidorius

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2007
Same Issue

I just created a new account. Received the confirmation email and responded. However I received the same error. If you look around at the internet it seems to be related to AOL, however, I have never had an AOL account...

Strangley enoough I can ask for a password reset, which works nicely, but the moment I try to log on to the store, I got the message that the account is not activated, etc. :confused:

Anybody an idea on how to solve this?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
To the OP - have you tried the verification on your Mac? Forward the email to yourself and click the link that way?

Worth a shot in case it's a windows error.

I've had good luck with the email tech support in iTunes.

network23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
Yeah, I was thinking (hoping) it was an error related to Windows, and I did try the verification on my Mac...same error.

I'm now wondering if it's NOT supposed to allow the None option and that I'm getting the error because I am not entering a credit card or a gift certificate.

bluecheese57

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Mallorca, Spain
Same problem fixed

Hi
I have had the same problem since updating to OS X 10.5.6. I reinstalled itunes from the apple website and this seems to have worked for me. Worth a try.

H.isidorius

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2007
New installation

Hi
I have had the same problem since updating to OS X 10.5.6. I reinstalled itunes from the apple website and this seems to have worked for me. Worth a try.

Just tried that to and downloaded the latest version. Unfortunately that did not helped either. I have posted the question to the stores helpdesk as well. Keep you posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.