Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Hello all...I have a MACBOOK PRO (new style) and i am trying to use the built in web cam. However, when I go into photo booth it tells me the camera is not connected. Can you anyone tell what it is that I am doing wrong? Also , when I go into photo booth the camera goes in and out...stating that camera is not connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance...

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Hello all...I have a MACBOOK PRO (new style) and i am trying to use the built in web cam. However, when I go into photo booth it tells me the camera is not connected. Can you anyone tell what it is that I am doing wrong? Also , when I go into photo booth the camera goes in and out...stating that camera is not connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance...

It could be a piece of software using the camera all ready (which is not likely) or it could be that the cable that goes to the iSight camera is broken/breaking.... I had an old model MacBook Pro and it's camera went out in 3 months... They replaced the cable and it worked fine.

Of course, first try finding any software conflicting. Reinstall OSX if possible.

swamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
ryan, thanks for the reply...i will give it a shot.

Thank you!

scottydude

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
Ohio
A quick and easy thing to try that usually fixes this problem is to reboot in Safe Mode (by holding the Shift key after hearing the Startup Chime. Then log in as usual and restart (in normal mode). Then check the iChatAV preference pane (Audio/Video tab) and the camera should now be working.

RyanMcLay

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
iSight not working

When I tried to open photo booth this popped onto the screen:

"Make sure your digital video camera is properly attached and turned on. If you are using the camera with another application, close that application before trying to open Photo Booth again."

I checked in system profiler under USB and does not recognize my built-in iSight. Is there another way I can solve the problem with out reinstalling OSX. I don't want to lose all my files.

I don't know if this caused a problem but I have "Parallels Desktop" on my MacBook Pro. I have windows installed.Maybe skype on windows had something to do with it? Any help would be great.

I have a Mac OS X version 10.4.11

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Sounds like a hardware problem. Either the logic board is bad, it's not seeing the camera, or the camera assembly or cable.

joshcaza

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
camera not working..

Also make sure you don't have a VM open like vmware fusion or parallels. Sometimes if you have it set to pass thru on the USB devices, it can cock block your isight camera. This happened to me once..at band camp. lol

Vegerot

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
A quick and easy thing to try that usually fixes this problem is to reboot in Safe Mode (by holding the Shift key after hearing the Startup Chime. Then log in as usual and restart (in normal mode). Then check the iChatAV preference pane (Audio/Video tab) and the camera should now be working.

Didn't work.

I checked in system profiler under USB and does not recognize my built-in iSight. Is there another way I can solve the problem with out reinstalling OSX. I don't want to lose all my files.

Same.

Also make sure you don't have a VM open like vmware fusion or parallels. Sometimes if you have it set to pass thru on the USB devices, it can cock block your isight camera. This happened to me once..at band camp. lol

I hate it when I'm trying to make a move and a VM comes out of nowhere and kills the mood :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.