Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atoothelex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
What can we expect Apple to announce at MacWorld this year? One of the theories explaining why Steve Jobs didn't announce a 240GB iPod in September is because they weren't in full production. Well, times have changed: that 240GB is now 250GB and maybe Apple has realized that people want a bigger iPod. So can we expect a 250GB iPod classic announced at MacWorld?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I didn't think the iPod classic did fabulously over Christmas even at 120GB? What have Apple's sales looked like on this? I guess, there's a minimal tooling cost to make the changeover, and it will make a small number of buyers happy, but I'm curious that there's a business case for bothering with it. Certainly not a major announcement for MacWorld or anything.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
holy bejeesus!
i rather have 240, better yet 320!! lol but i dont use classics

if they made a 64GB ipod touch ooohhh yeahhh. :D

And here we have a perfect example of why this would potentially be a waste of Apple's time. ;)

Not to mention the fact that there is no transition from the iPod classic to any of Apple's ancillary money streams -- either the small market for Nike gear on the nano or the huge market for Apps on the iPhone and touch.

If anything, I could possibly see them eventually trying a disk-based iPod touch that would be physically thicker than the current iPod touch but have that kind of crazy storage, just as an interim solution for the next ~18 months or so until flash-based storage in excess of 100GB becomes realistic.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
i thought this was MacWorld '09...? but anyways, a 250GB iPod is dumb, a 64GB Touch is very realistic.

I would beg to differ considering I don't think it is cost effective to use one 64gb flash chip, even two 32gb flash chips is still would be a little pricey. Just look at how many devices are using a single 32gb chip. Only Sandisk is using one 32gb chip, Creative, and Apple are both using two 16gb chips, not sure what the Nokia N97 will be using, nor the Samsung P3. However, a 250gb ipod would be cost effective.

If you want a device that has 250gb or more of space, there is the Archos series 5 which goes up to 250gb of space, only downside is the fact that it is a 5in screen, but it does have wifi, optional GPS and 3G support. There is also the Archos series 7, which is pretty much the same, but it has a 7in screen and goes up to 320gb. That right now the only devices that has more than 160gb capacity.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I would beg to differ considering I don't think it is cost effective to use one 64gb flash chip, even two 32gb flash chips is still would be a little pricey.

Well, the previous iPod touch used a 2 chip configuration to reach 16GB... and the iPod touch has a hefty profit margin, so it doesn't seem impossible. It rather seems like exactly what Apple does. I'm not saying January is a certainty, though. I'd be surprised if there isn't one by April or so.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'm not sure if Apple wants to offer a 240 GB iPod classic--relatively few users outside of serious iPod enthusiasts could come close to filling the old 6G iPod classic 160 GB model. For most users who don't put a lot of video or Apple Lossless files on the player, 120 GB is way more than enough, even if you use 256 kbps VBR AAC encoding.

atoothelex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
well, i for one use all of my 160GB iPod. I hate having to delete videos and podcasts to cram in my music. I've got about 90GB of music, on top of countless podcasts. There just isn't enough room for all of my stuff:( I would buy a 250GB iPod classic in a heartbeat. I don't see why Apple hasn't already made a 250GB iPod, i mean come on, how hard would it be to swap out the drives???:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.