Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Anyone know how to cancel the download of an app?

I started downloading an app and as soon as it started it looks like it's just frozen now.

I tried holding the home button for 7 seconds to cancel. I also tried rebooting the phone and everytime it boots up, the app is still there attempting to download. Tried home and power to reboot, same thing.

Anyone know of another way to force the quit? Ughhh.:mad:

chris1016

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
Simply tapping the app icon usually pauses the download, but I don't think that works in this situation, as I've been in it myself. Best thing to do is just wait through it, I suppose. :(

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If the download is not working, you might try logging into iTunes on a computer and checking for purchased content. Since it never successfully installed on the device, it should download to iTunes. Then, you can install it by syncing, and it should be done.

Oddly, I bought Brothers in Arms over the weekend and it failed to download over WiFi on my iPhone. It came up with a message telling me to use iTunes to finish getting it. :confused: Maybe the same will work in your case, although it's slightly different?

cmrunner83

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone know how to cancel the download of an app?

I started downloading an app and as soon as it started it looks like it's just frozen now.

I tried holding the home button for 7 seconds to cancel. I also tried rebooting the phone and everytime it boots up, the app is still there attempting to download. Tried home and power to reboot, same thing.

Anyone know of another way to force the quit? Ughhh.:mad:

Restore the iPhone on iTunes. That happened to me, and that was the only thing that fixed it. It should delete the app altogether, so if you don't want it you should be good. If you do want it, just download it again.

Kaprow

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
The following worked for me:

1. Pause the download by tapping the icon
2. Turn the phone completely off (with red slider) thus disconnecting the phone from the app store
3. Turn the phone back on, when prompted to sign into the app store click cancel so that the download does not resume
4. Press and hold an icon to enter "shakey" mode
5. You should now be able to delete the icon/download by tapping it. I was prompted that I would still be able to down load from the app store

gordon.freeman

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010

2. Turn the phone completely off (with red slider) thus disconnecting the phone from the app store
3. Turn the phone back on, when prompted to sign into the app store click cancel so that the download does not resume
5. You should now be able to delete the icon/download by tapping it. I was prompted that I would still be able to down load from the app store

this should help:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12088736

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

That's what I do and so far it's worked every time.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Just go sync the phone and it will go into your iTunes download and install on the next sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.