Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starkruzr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
So, I had my brand-new TV (unhacked, so far) connected to a standard-def TV via component and got it set up, synced to my MBP, etc. Everything was going along fine and dandy.

Then I took it to another room and connected it to an HDTV via HDMI. Connected the audio outputs to the surround-sound receiver.

The machine boots fine. I can hear the menu noises through the receiver.

No video. At all. When I go to select HDMI on the TV, it's greyed out. Any idea what's going on there?

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Is it possible you set the AppleTV up for a resolution that the second TV can't accept? For instance, my previous TV could only do HD at 1080i. So, if I set up my AppleTV on a different set at 720p or 1080p, it wouldn't work on the 1080i set.

starkruzr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Is it possible you set the AppleTV up for a resolution that the second TV can't accept? For instance, my previous TV could only do HD at 1080i. So, if I set up my AppleTV on a different set at 720p or 1080p, it wouldn't work on the 1080i set.
Is there some reason it shouldn't be able to deal with simple 480i? If it can't that would be a big surprise as it's been doing 480i on all the normal broadcast channels we watch on it.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Any HDMI capable TV should be able to handle 480i or 480p without any problems (though the AppleTV manual doesn't list 480i as an allowable output).

Have you ever hooked up the AppleTV via HDMI successfully to any device? Do you know that the HDMI cable is good? Is it compliant with the latest version of HDMI? (Not sure which version is required, 1.3a maybe.)

Have you tried resetting the AppleTV using the procedure described in the link that someone already provided? Here's how you do it:

"To reset your Apple TV using your remote control, press and hold Menu and Menu down/scroll for 6 seconds."

starkruzr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Now the color is gone from the component feed. I checked all the cables three times and made sure the right color plugs were going to the right color sockets. So I have this beautiful black-and-white image on my color SD television.

Here is the sequence of events:

1) Connected TV to the SD TV in the basement using red, green and blue composite cables and red and white audio cables. Worked brilliantly. Set it to 480i and had no problems. Color was fine. Picture was great. Sound was fine.

2) Decided to set it up upstairs on the HDTV to show my dad the awesome. Moved it upstairs, tried to connect via an HDMI cable and a pair of RCA cables for the L and R audio jacks which were to be hooked to the surround-sound system. Audio worked fine (I could hear the noises when I hit the controls on the remote). No video at all. As far as the television was concerned, there was no video feed on the HDMI port.

3) Brought it back downstairs and connected it to the SD TV via the component cables again. Everything is fine except for the black and white video.

Performed a reset and told it to restart. No joy, still B&W. Component cables are connected correctly. This SD television is a JVC. http://www.fixya.com/support/p...manual-17453/page-13

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.