Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scary

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
Anyone get this to work with the 550.. I dont seem to have the ability to set power off delay time. I am using 7.5.0 with firmware 2.6 I can set the button for power off to menu but cannot set duration..

Any help?

Try this:

1. Remove the existing Apple TV out of the Devices tab.
2. Re-add it by choosing it from the Media Center PCs list (don't create it as a Mac Mini as the original instructions said).
3. Once you have that, the defaults should have delay times and you can adjust as appropriate.

That's the only way I know of to get it.

amfbluffer

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
thanks that worked, now I can set the delay for the power off..

However, the apple tv still remains on when I change from Apple TV activity to another activity.

Scary

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
thanks that worked, now I can set the delay for the power off..

However, the apple tv still remains on when I change from Apple TV activity to another activity.

As I wrote in my other post, change the Play command in the power off sequence to Select instead. Then it will work.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Hello

I was having the same problem as others in this thread even with the new apple tv profile, ie, the apple tv wouldn't stay off (standby) when I either (from apple tv activity) pushed the off button on the remote or changed from apple tv activity to another activity. My harmony remote 525 set-up software didn't allow me to include the delays for the menu button and the select button as standard for power off.

I sent harmony a query using the method included in their software and they changed my profile to include the delays. I played dumb and didn't mention that I had read this thread just asked them to fix the not-turning-off issue. As mentioned they responded very quickly (within 24 hours) but it still didn't work. So I went into the software to see what they had done and they had added different buttons for power on and off and for the off had included 2 button process, menu for 2500 ms and 'play' for 5000 ms. I changed the 'play' to 'select' as mentioned above and it works perfectly now.

So it appears that the harmony set-up software (at least for the 525) doesn't
provide for the delay settings as standard and you have to request a fix from their tech support before they activate it.

I sent them back a response regarding the 'play' v 'select' issue and thanked them for their prompt attention.

If you are having the same problem and want the little light on the apple tv off when you are doing something else - contact harmony - explain to them that your apple tv won't turn off, say that it is a 2 step process, menu for 2 seconds and select for 5 seconds and once they update, (and if it doesn't work) go into the power settings and the delays should be there and change the button.

Cheers

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Apple TV Standby Info

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2671

For anyone confused about "power off" and "standby", the Apple TV does NOT power off at all. There is a way to reboot it where it is off temporarily, then it boots backs on. Also, "standby" isn't as low power as it is on a laptop for instance. Before, Apple didn't even have a standby mode as it's designed to sync and update podcasts etc, in the background. Then, they added standby but that mode only turns off the hard drive until its needed again. It still updates and syncs while in standby. Put the ATV in standby, then hit any button on the remote, see how fast it wakes up? That's because it's not really "off" or asleep, etc.

From: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4408276

Attachments

• by default 2.jpg
    by default 2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 274

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Bump;
I just used this to set-up my newly Apple TV (160) to my Harmony 890 in the family room.
Thx for posting this.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
This thread is completely outdated. I have the harmony remote and since all the updates when this thread came out in 2007 the software automatically recognizes apple tv and works fine on setup.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
This thread is completely outdated. I have the harmony remote and since all the updates when this thread came out in 2007 the software automatically recognizes apple tv and works fine on setup.

Correct. Now, all that's necessary is to select a "Media Center PC", then the Apple brand and type in "Apple TV". No shenanigans required.

nunnzzzz

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
apple tv harmony remote

i am having trouble with my apple tv. Apple tv comes on correctly but the harmony still doesnt work. I have to hit devices, then media center, then unpair before the Harmony will work....anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

tomas21

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
Can anyone describe what each of these Harmony buttons does when using them in the context of AppleTV?

Harmony Remote Standard Buttons
PageDown
PageUp
DirectionUp
DirectionDown
DirectionLeft
DirectionRight
Select
Menu
Stop
SkipBackward
NextChapter
Play
Rewind
FastForward
Pause

Harmony Remote Additional Buttons

Pair
PrevChapter
Reset
UnPair
VideoMode

Attachments

• AtvHarmony.png
    AtvHarmony.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 299

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Can anyone describe what each of these Harmony buttons does when using them in the context of AppleTV?

Quick answer. The Menu, D-Pad and Select buttons mirror the buttons on the Apple Remote, and should do exactly the same thing on an Apple TV. I have found that, in addition, the "VCR" controls on my Harmony remote will also perform their usual function during playback: i.e. ff, rew, chapter skip, play, pause etc., but they don't do anything when navigating the on-screen menus.

loudlizard

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
Oh, forgot one last thing, you have to unsynch your AppleTV remote and synch the harmony (by clicking the play/ok button) for the AppleTV to recognize the harmony.

Hope that speed's things up for a few people. I set my little music button on the remote to my AppleTV activity.

Enjoy,
Moby Ick[/QUOTE]

New to this forum.

How do i unsync my AppleTV remote and synch the harmony? My apple remote is unpaired. I have the Harmony 520 and i do not have the option to pair the remote on the lcd screen. I followed the instructions to the letter but i do not understand how to pair my harmony remote with the apple TV.

Please help.

Thanks.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
New to this forum.

How do i unsync my AppleTV remote and synch the harmony? My apple remote is unpaired. I have the Harmony 520 and i do not have the option to pair the remote on the lcd screen. I followed the instructions to the letter but i do not understand how to pair my harmony remote with the apple TV.

Please help.

Thanks.

He's wrong. Ignore his post.

You don't need to unsync the original remote and you don't need to sync the Harmony. Mine works just fine without those steps.

alankanczes

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
Make sure your device name is exact

I tried the setup and failed. Apparently i mistyped the device name. I didn't get a specific device. you will know you made an error if you don't get three entries for the timings to set to 100. If you get only two, you messed up. Retry.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I moved my 5 year old Denon 4308CI from the basement HT into the family room where my AppleTV Gen1 with 160GB is there.
(basement HT got upgraded to just released Denon 4520CI)
IMG_3562.JPG

So I had to re-do my Harmony 890, prior was a 12 year old Onkyo 787.

For my Apple TV, I just followed the Harmony directions, screenshots here:
Harmony%2520Add%2520AppleTV1.jpg

Harmony%2520Add%2520AppleTV2.jpg

Special Note:
For this step, I just typed "Apple TV" and it worked fine!
Harmony%2520Add%2520AppleTV3.jpg

I added 1 step - upon exit to "stop", this way stuff does not keep playing on the Apple TV when you exit, since it is always on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.