Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Is there a way to make First Class email address work on an Iphone?

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Is there a way to make First Class email address work on an Iphone?

I was wondering the same thing, what I've been doing is just going to the web login version... But I was wondering if there was a way I could have my work email (First Class) forwarded.. I work for a school district so not sure if they have the proper ports opened..

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Unless your administrators have disabled them, your First Class mail server provides POP/SMTP services -- you can use your account as you would any POP/SMTP account.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Unless your administrators have disabled them, your First Class mail server provides POP/SMTP services -- you can use your account as you would any POP/SMTP account.

I'm almost positive our administrators have it disabled, I tried setting it up with POP on the original iPhone and it wouldn't work..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm almost positive our administrators have it disabled, I tried setting it up with POP on the original iPhone and it wouldn't work..

I (apologize in advance) don't know what First Class E-mail is, exactly, but assuming that this is an e-mail service you use that has a web access and for which your admins have disabled POP/IMAP access as you say, is there any chance it's supported by a webmail aggregator like IzyMail?

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
I (apologize in advance) don't know what First Class E-mail is, exactly, but assuming that this is an e-mail service you use that has a web access and for which your admins have disabled POP/IMAP access as you say, is there any chance it's supported by a webmail aggregator like IzyMail?

FirstClass is a (IMHO rather poor) piece of groupware that's popular in the education sector. It usually uses its own proprietary client/protocol, but can offer POP (and, IIRC, IMAP) access in addition to webmail.

My suggestion is this: check to see if ports 25, 110, 143, 587, and 995 are open. If some of them are, then there's a chance you can get access to your mailbox via POP or IMAP. If not, ask your admins why the functionality is disabled, and if they can enable it. It's a perfectly legitimate feature, and you should be able to make a case for it.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Just a follow-up:

If you go to FSU, you do indeed have a POP/IMAP-accessible mailbox ;-)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you go to FSU, you do indeed have a POP/IMAP-accessible mailbox ;-)

Yeah, if it's being used in a University setting, I can scarcely believe that, except under exceptional circumstances, you would not be granted one out of the three major access standards (POP, IMAP, or Exchange).

kovy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Help setting it up

Thanks for all the replies! Could anyone walk me through the steps to setting this up Cause I have no knowledge of what POP and all this other stuff is. Thanks in advance.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for all the replies! Could anyone walk me through the steps to setting this up Cause I have no knowledge of what POP and all this other stuff is. Thanks in advance.

If you tell me the address of the FirstClass server I can check and see if it offers POP/IMAP access. If it does, I (and other users here) would be more than happy to assist you in setting up your account.

kovy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the help

I am pretty sure they allow access cause a senior last year had his first class email on his Iphone. This is the server address fcmail.lovett.org

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I have first class on my iPhone
In settings in the mail section I have the following info for my account:(It's a pop account btw)
Name: (Your Name)
Address: (your email address)
Description: First Class

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: mail.nvnet.org (nvnet is my school)
User Name: (The user name you use in desktop version)
Password: (Your password)

Outgoing mail Server
SMTP: smtp.mail.nvnet.org (Once again nvnet is my school)

That's what I have also check here:

ChrisN

hoheit

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
If you tell me the address of the FirstClass server I can check and see if it offers POP/IMAP access. If it does, I (and other users here) would be more than happy to assist you in setting up your account.
Hi! This is more than a decade later and my organization still uses first class. I am not sure it has imap access. Could you please check this for me? the adress is fcws.uminfo.de
Thank you very much indeed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.