Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorCalTECH

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2008
How can you do multiple updates easily?

Now that I have a lot of apps, I always have 10-12 updates to do. Each time if I do the updates from the phone I have to do many "clicks" and then enter my iTunes password which has #'s and letters and is a PITA.

Answer: Use iTunes to do the updates. Synch the phone, with iTunes, click on apps and then on "You have xx updates" at the bottom of the screen, then on update all.

sgomare

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
iphone screenshot

I have iphone 3G version 2.1, If you want to capture iphone screen u can hold sleep button and press home button. This will save screenshot of your screen in camera roll.

paperstar

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
Bay Area
Snapshot of whatever is on your screen

Thanks to all that have posted this tip! "hold the home button and click on the sleep/wake button", the camera takes a picture of whatever is showing on the screen.

I was able to save photo's off of many web pages, snapshots of you tube videos, pictures of text of e-mails and word documents(round about way to copy text), maps, games, high scores and even anything on my desktop with VNC. I could then crop the new photo's and re-save them and send the pics via email, facebook, flickr, picassa.

Ted888

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
A better font for your Notes

The default fonts for Notes is difficult to read as it try to mimic poor hadwritten letters. You can have beautiful fonts if you activate Chinese input keyboard, and inside the Notes, as long as you have one letter, number or space is input under the Chinese input mode, the fonts will turn into beautiful Verdana for the whole notes page.

tekgeeek

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Some tips

Check out this article from iphonespies. There's a couple iphone tips here that I didn't even know about. There's a video too. Good luck guys and merry christmas!

ynblood

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Caller ID: If you select a photo for a contact from the iPhone, the selected photo is shown full screen for the caller ID

Caller ID: If a contacts photo is transferred with the contact's info from the Address Book, the contact's photo is shown as a thumbnail (just like with the commercials) for the caller ID

Hello I am new to the iphone and I don't understand how to get the photo's for the contacts as thumbnails. What does it mean from the address book?

Thanks
YB

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Is here any way to get pics that people text me w/o having to go to http://www.viewmymessage.com?

Not without jailbreaking your phone and using SwirlyMMS, and even then it's a crap shoot with AT&T.

be lucky you even get viewmymessage.com.... When people send me MMS, I get NOTHING!!!!!! So then my friend asks me 2 days later how come I didn't respond to the messages he sent me with photos.... UMM... Cuz I got an iPhone dude.. And even though I spent the last 6 months telling you how fierce it is, it doesn't do what your phone does, so it must not be that fierce....

It's too bad the keyboard sucks balls on my blackberry storm or else I'd sell my iphone on Ebay and cancel my AT&T.... My company pays for my Storm and Verizon, but they refuse to support iphone... But I can't stand the keyboard on the Storm... LOL

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Selective push notification

If you use push email to be notified of incoming email, but hate being notified about "unimportant" email, there's a trick where you can have only "important/urgent" email (or whatever you specify) be pushed. It's a great way of reducing interruptions, and also possibly increasing battery life.

The trick here is to have two email accounts:

1. A "main" email account. This is the account you use to send/receive mail, and is the address that you give out to people. The one big requirement here is that the email service must support server-side filtering and email forwarding via filters. Google's gmail supports this, but it's not the only one.

2. A push email account. You can use any push email account for this.
The idea here is that you set up server-side filtering on your main account to only autoforward the "important" messages to your push email account. When an "important" message is received, your mail account autoforwards it to your push email account, which causes your iPhone to beep/vibrate. If a regular message is received, it's not autoforwarded, and nothing happens on the iPhone.

The only real downside is that, if your iPhone is connected to both accounts, some mail gets duplicated. However, I just periodically do a "delete all" on the push account, and just read/write email from the other account.

I wrote up a blog post on this -- for more info, see: http://meepmeep.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/selective-push-email-for-the-iphone/

vvndave

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
Florida
deleting autofill from safari iPhone

I've called iPhone and they say you can't delete the autofill from safari, but you can. I have done it by,going into settings, then safari, then hit-clear history, hit clear cookies, hit-clear cache. Then go to search engine- check yahoo then goole. Your done. If you also want to your web pages gone turn iPone off then back on. Hope this helps someone. Apple surport should read this. Dave

ps: the page that is on the screen will not get deleted. That's the only thing you can't delete.

marshall88

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I've called iPhone and they say you can't delete the autofill from safari, but you can. I have done it by,going into settings, then safari, then hit-clear history, hit clear cookies, hit-clear cache. Then go to search engine- check yahoo then goole. Your done. If you also want to your web pages gone turn iPone off then back on. Hope this helps someone. Apple surport should read this. Dave

This does not work.

kristenbree

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
iPHONE APPS

I use to have the 1st version of the iphone which i had the CATEGORIES application on, and i loved it. Is the same app available for the newer version???? and if so whre do you find it?
Please Help!!!!

sactownstar916

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Hey, Does some one here Knows how do i put my name on The status Bar of my Iphonee.. i've seen people with their name on the status bar.! HOW CAN I DO THAT..! Need Help Please..

Yes, if you go to cydia and go to search, type in: Makeitmine; or possibly even just Make. This lets you change where the time is to anything you want, and also the carrier logo to anything you want.

Oh, this slipped my mind. I mentioned cydia so of course, it has to be jailbroken to use this app.

kiddkeat

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
I having some problem about the ringtones...

after i sync the ringtones from itunes to iphone..why it didn't appear in the ringtones list in iphone...only those original ringtones are there...why??

revitjunkee

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
to expand on your keyboard tip above, the iphone is smarter than you think. you can type a space after the punctuation and it returns to the alpha keyboard automatically. if you are typing a sentence and want a period (or anything else on that keyboard) and then to continue on, you hit the key to toggle to the new keyboard, type your period and then a space and it automatically returns to the alpha keyboard.

i actually prefer this to the "easy" punctuation multi-touch drag thing that is going around. once you know this trick, punctuation is no problem.

i sent it to david pogue this morning and now he is sending me a free book!

is there some way to put the iphone keyboard into landscape mode (longways) on the 1st iphone iv been working at this for a week any suggestions? is it even doable? and just to be clear i am talking about the text message keyboard not the emaill keyboard i have apps for that.

Londonluke

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
The first and most obvious question...!

I am finishing with my Vodafone Blackberry tomorrow ,And have picked up a mint 2g 8gb to play with (Its Jailbroken)

Now i have my contacts on my sim etc. And i know the iphone does not use SIM memory for contacts if i am correct ?

I use macs at home etc. What is the EASIEST way to import my contacts onto the iphone? would it read them from my vodafone sim and import direct (Phone is unlocked) I have also got them stored in my "Address book" on the mac.

this is my main concern and i would rather not screw up

cheers

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Shooting horizontal video with 3GS?

When shooting video with the iPhone 3GS in a horizontal position (camera lens on left side), the video on the iPhone shows like it is supposed too. But, when you view it on a PC or upload it to You Tube... it doesn't retain the horizontal aspect. Reverts to vertical. What am I doing wrong?

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
When shooting video with the iPhone 3GS in a horizontal position (camera lens on left side), the video on the iPhone shows like it is supposed too. But, when you view it on a PC or upload it to You Tube... it doesn't retain the horizontal aspect. Reverts to vertical. What am I doing wrong?

Whatever orientation you START recording in is the orientation that the whole video will be recorded in. So, to get landscape, just turn your phone in landscape mode THEN start recording. It will be in landscape on YouTube and iPhoto after that.

blazinsaddle

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Help, Please!!

My original 8 gig i-phone will only allow me to call and be heard on speakerphone. If I call without it on speakerphone, I can hear who I called but they cannot call me. I reset it and thank God I backed it up because it wiped out my contacts, photos and added apps. Also, it asks me for a passcode to get into my voicemail and I know it is a preset code you can turn on and off and reset at will, but I am so technoligically challenged, I don't stand a chance without help!

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I use macs at home etc. What is the EASIEST way to import my contacts onto the iphone? would it read them from my vodafone sim and import direct (Phone is unlocked) I have also got them stored in my "Address book" on the mac.

If you have your contacts in Address Book, you're golden. iTunes should automatically sync all contacts and groups in your Address Book the first time you plug it in.

tekgeeek

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
If you tilt the calculator to landscape mode, it should come up with a scientific calculator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.