Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
I have done a little bit of searching but havent found an answert to my question so here it goes. Recently my MacBooks hard drive failed which you can read about in these two threads. After I bought a new hard drive and an upgraded ram kit, I was awaiting my new Leopard disks when my Ipod decided to go into recovery mode. Nothing was backed up and now my 10+gb of music is somewhat gone. My question is how can I get my info off my Ipod without having to buy a program. I had come across senuti in my searches but I'm not sure this is what I'm looking for. Seems to me that this is somwhat like Ipod access etc. Any help is apprciated. Oh and I beleive I have a 30g Ipod video 5th gen running ver 1.3. I'm at work so I'm not 100% on that.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Getting your iPod out of recovery mode is the tough part though. Is it fully charged? Is it permanently in recovery mode?

It is charging as we speak and I'm not sure if it is permanent. I have not tryed to recover it yet from fear of losing any of my data. That guide looks pretty simple, step two almost had me confused when they explain you must type in your ipods name where it says [youripodname]. Does that really need to be explained? My common sense was attacked by an explanation of involuntary thinking. I feel smarter knowing how to go about fixing this but yet stupid-errr for having to actually figure out step 2. Thanks for the help.

mj1903

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
Try doing a hard reset as there is no possibility of your data disappearing due to entering recovery mode. Just avoid plugging your iPod your Mac until you have it running nicely again then follow the instructions in that guide.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Try doing a hard reset as there is no possibility of your data disappearing due to entering recovery mode. Just avoid plugging your iPod your Mac until you have it running nicely again then follow the instructions in that guide.

By hard reset you mean holding the center and top? I've tryed that but it still says to connect to a computer and use itunes to recover. I hooked it up to my mac once I installed leopard but ejected it so I could find a solution. Don't I have to have it plugged into the mac to use the terminal to get my data.

mj1903

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
Ok, you have an infinite recovery loop then. Contact Apple as soon as possible and reiterate to them that you cannot restore the iPod software for the above reasons. Fingers crossed that they might be able to help.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Ok, you have an infinite recovery loop then. Contact Apple as soon as possible and reiterate to them that you cannot restore the iPod software for the above reasons. Fingers crossed that they might be able to help.

Nooooooo! there has to be some other way then relying on apple support. Using terminal won't work with a infinite loop?

mj1903

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
I am unaware of any method of recovery from your situation. Perhaps let it fully discharge?

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
I'll let it completely drain first but should i try to recover it in itunes then use the terminal? will that work?

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
found a solution. put the ipod in disk mode by pressing center and down at same time. then hooked it up to macbook and it displays he music so i downloaded senuti and am able to transfer the songs. its taking forever but its worth it, might even take days at this speed but screw it at least i have my music again.

mj1903

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
found a solution. put the ipod in disk mode by pressing center and down at same time. then hooked it up to macbook and it displays he music so i downloaded senuti and am able to transfer the songs. its taking forever but its worth it, might even take days at this speed but screw it at least i have my music again.

Glad you found a solution, although it strikes me as amusing that after I assisted you Senuti was your choice of application. ;)

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Glad you found a solution, although it strikes me as amusing that after I assisted you Senuti was your choice of application. ;)

Oh sorry dude I didnt even notice what was in your sig til now. I used to use ipod access but figured i would give another program a try. Turns out that today when I tryed to access the ipod in disk mode it will no longer work. Back to square one. Im trying new stuff again this sucks I only got 50 songs off before I went to sleep. Ill def give your program a try though thanks for your help.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Now th iPod won't even be recognize by itunes or the laptop except in disk utility. However, in disk utility it now says cant be read or something ot that nature. Should i just erase it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.