Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
.... as stated above,... when you have your MBA connected to the new LCD Cinema Display 24" and the lid closed,... which apps do you run and when does the fan chimes in?

I do some Safari, observing my Mac Pro in the Office via Screen Sharing and watching TV running EyeTV.

iStat tells me tmp is 65 up to 67 and the fan runs about 6184rpm

(fan is absolutely audible,...)

How´s about yours?

pstoehr

macrumors member
Hi *,

I'm going to replace my old PowerBook G4 by something new, maybe a MBA with the new 24" Cinema Display.

Will the fans start to make some noise while doing "normal" stuff with the MBA, for example using office applications (Word, pages, ...) and doing some programming with xcode?

Thanks for an answer
Peter

umgoblue2008

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
Hi *,

I'm going to replace my old PowerBook G4 by something new, maybe a MBA with the new 24" Cinema Display.

Will the fans start to make some noise while doing "normal" stuff with the MBA, for example using office applications (Word, pages, ...) and doing some programming with xcode?

Thanks for an answer
Peter

Usually it doesn't kick in with word/powerpoint/web browsing, unless there is video involved. I don't do any programming so not sure with that.

Another thing, having a laptop stand that exposes the vents will help with the fan noise, as currently I have a griffin elevator. It beats having the laptop sit on a table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.