Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Is there a way to give some of my apps to another person.

I have a bunch of apps on my iPhone that were primarily for my daughter's amusement. She got a iTouch over Christmas. Is there a way for me to "give" those apps to her? She has her own iTunes account and does not want me to authorize my account over hers. Can I just copies some files to her iTunes?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I tried to figure out a way to do this with and, unfortunately, I don't think that it can be done. The Apps are tied to an iTunes account and only 1 iTunes account can be tied to each iPhone or iPod Touch. I could be wrong but that is the way that I understand it to work.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've heard that you can have apps from mulitple iTunes account on an iPhone/Touch, but you have to sync them from the same computer. If you and your daughter are using different computers, I don't think this will work. I'd try contacting Apple customer service and see if they'll let you transfer the apps from one account to another.

JoeCo0611

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
It can be done, though it requires some steps, the use of an authorization slot and possible knowledge of each others login & password.

My friend and I know each others login and password, so if we want an app that one of us purchased, we can just transfer it between computers or log in under their name to download it. Make sure you log back in under your name, then you can sync. I have never had trouble syncing his apps to my iphone. It only requires his login info when I want to update the app.

davidjtaylor07

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I tried to figure out a way to do this with and, unfortunately, I don't think that it can be done. The Apps are tied to an iTunes account and only 1 iTunes account can be tied to each iPhone or iPod Touch. I could be wrong but that is the way that I understand it to work.

i have 2 iphones and each one is synced through 1 computer, using the same account. cant think of another way as apps have protection.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Doesn't the US have a law ("first sale doctrine", I think) that allows you to resell anything that you legally purchased?

M0bile

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
It can be done, though it requires some steps, the use of an authorization slot and possible knowledge of each others login & password.

My friend and I know each others login and password, so if we want an app that one of us purchased, we can just transfer it between computers or log in under their name to download it. Make sure you log back in under your name, then you can sync. I have never had trouble syncing his apps to my iphone. It only requires his login info when I want to update the app.

I've done this also with file transfer through AIM/iChat and knowing (with permission) the other person's iTunes store login/password. Works fine.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Doesn't the US have a law ("first sale doctrine", I think) that allows you to resell anything that you legally purchased?
I think they are hiding behind the charade that you don't purchase any software, you just get a limited license to use it. I think this is the idea behind all those terms of service agreements with any piece of software.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I think they are hiding behind the charade that you don't purchase any software, you just get a limited license to use it. I think this is the idea behind all those terms of service agreements with any piece of software.

You're right, intellectual property rights don't really work like that, even though they should. It's not like a car, where you can't physically retain functionality of it after you've sold it, but you can buy Program X, install, then sell the disc. I think that's the main problem that THE MAN has with re-selling software.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

I remember a while back (2007 or maybe early 08), Autodesk tried to sue someone for reselling used copies of AutoCAD (the AutoCAD licence says that you can't). The court ruled that the reseller was doing nothing wrong. I'll see whether I can find a link to that article.

Edit: Not the best link, but it'll do.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I tried doing this last night with my gf's iPhone on my computer and mine on her Mac.

I plugged my iPhone into her Mac and her iTunes recognized my phone. She has the Tetris app that I want. So I click the box "Only Sync selected Music and Videos," went to the Apps tab and choose the apps I wanted. It gave me a warning. Something along the lines of all my apps would be deleted in order to sync OR I could transfer my apps to her iTunes. So I transferred all my apps, synced my phone and I had Tetris and all my apps. We did the same for her phone to my computer and it worked the same.

Both times it never asked for and iTunes account or password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.