Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminol74

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Hi,

I'm sure that this has been mentioned before but I've noticed recently that if I leave my iPod touch connected to my iMac and then put my iMac to sleep overnight I'll wake up in the morning and all but 20% of my iPod battery has drained?! This never used to happen so I'm guessing this "feature" was introduced by some iTunes update or similar? Either way it's flippin' irritating cos I keep forgetting this new habit and wake up each morning to a battery drained iPod.

Not looking for a solution, unless there is one, but am I alone? And am I right to think that this never used to happen? Simon

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
That has never happened to me and I sleep my MacBook Pro and connect my iPhone. That is quite an odd issue, you should call Apple and see if they know about the issue.

luminol74

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Well I did a quick browsey of the internet and it doesn't seem to be an unknown or even uncommon issue. But alot of the comments I've seen about this are months and months old. This has only started happening to me in the last few weeks...

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
Well I did a quick browsey of the internet and it doesn't seem to be an unknown or even uncommon issue. But alot of the comments I've seen about this are months and months old. This has only started happening to me in the last few weeks...

I too remember reading about this issue a long time ago (possibly a good couple of years) - pretty sure it was all sorted out with an update or two.

What are the details with regards to your OS version, iPod generation, firmware, iTunes, etc.?

luminol74

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
I'm running all the latest software, 10.5.6, iTunes 8.whatever the latest is. Nothing software update is telling me to do. iPod touch is 1st gen, version 2.2 (or whichever is the latest again).

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
my sleeping MBP charges my ipod if you plug it in while its still sleeping. it seems to wake up a little (you can hear the CD drive go) but then goes back to sleep again. Handy when you want a little extra juice but don't have a charger nearby.

2nd gen touch, new MBP

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
I have the exact same problem and it's only done it since the 2.2 update. It' doing my head in because it used to recharge fine when the Mac was asleep. As soon as it goes asleep it now actually drains the battery.

mateft

macrumors member
May 22, 2003
same here

I'm having that problem too, happened at the latest iTunes update for me. I've even tried different USB ports.

medran

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
same issue

Ya ive got the same issue, I wonder if it matter if your itouch is connected via the keyboard or directly to the mac...

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
I think some computers don’t keep charging through USB when they’re asleep. I don’t know if that’s an OS thing or a hardware thing, so which version of OS X are you in, and what kinda hardware are you on?

So that could explain why it’s not gaining battery, as you’d expect. As for the battery draining, do you have things like wifi and bluetooth left on on your iPod? And do you stay in an app, or do you go to the home screen before putting it to sleep?

medran

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
its an itouch 2, on an imac. And really I can understand why a sleeping computer wouldn't charge a device, in fact none of my computers even windows ones will charge a device while sleeping, however why a battery would drain at an unprecedented rate while connected to a sleeping computer seems bizarre, given the same itouch can be left alone for many days without the battery dying when not in use. To answer the question, wifi is on, bluetooth is off, and the touch is locked.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
its an itouch 2, on an imac. And really I can understand why a sleeping computer wouldn't charge a device, in fact none of my computers even windows ones will charge a device while sleeping, however why a battery would drain at an unprecedented rate while connected to a sleeping computer seems bizarre, given the same itouch can be left alone for many days without the battery dying when not in use. To answer the question, wifi is on, bluetooth is off, and the touch is locked.

Turning off wifi should make a big difference. Location services should help too. Also, make sure you return to the home screen before you lock the iPod.

BStyle105

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
I have the same issue with my 2nd gen iTouch connected to an iMac. Previously I have always shut down my computer but since I have been putting my iMac in sleep mode my iTouch is almost half drained in the morning. Switching off wi-fi on the iTouch helped a little but not much.

This is really bizarre behaviour for a sleeping computer to draw power from an iTouch but I guess I can live with simply undocking my iTouch before I go to bed (allthough it is somewhat annoying). Anyway, here's hoping for a solution in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.