Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eximius vir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
United Kingdom
ok, so for the sake of the argument, I NEED this to work. I'll do anything to get it work (and already have)

I bought a 32'' 1080p tv to be an external monitor for my IbookG4. I need to hook it up via HDMI to even get the 1080p. I bought a $100 converter to get VGA to HDMI output with HDCP. 1080 didn't show up on my list, and the highest I can get is 1280x1024. I then bought DisplayConfigX and installed to get the resolution, and i still get the same thing. My vid card is a
ATIRadeon9700 pro mac edition, and should be able to go up to 1920. I've had a monitor hooked up via vga before that put out 1600x1100.

I just have no idea how to get this work. any help would be great. THANKS!

ps: I've also already run that program that make 2 monitors instead of just mirroring the 1

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
ok, so for the sake of the argument, I NEED this to work. I'll do anything to get it work (and already have)

I bought a 32'' 1080p tv to be an external monitor for my IbookG4. I need to hook it up via HDMI to even get the 1080p. I bought a $100 converter to get VGA to HDMI output with HDCP. 1080 didn't show up on my list, and the highest I can get is 1280x1024. I then bought DisplayConfigX and installed to get the resolution, and i still get the same thing. My vid card is a
ATIRadeon9700 pro mac edition, and should be able to go up to 1920. I've had a monitor hooked up via vga before that put out 1600x1100.

I just have no idea how to get this work. any help would be great. THANKS!

ps: I've also already run that program that make 2 monitors instead of just mirroring the 1

you could spend 1000$ and get a new macbook and then hook it up using Mini display port to Hdmi ...

maybe try tunring off the internal monitor,... and also, why go HD? I donÄt think your ibook can play HD movies? :confused:

eximius vir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
United Kingdom
you could spend 1000$ and get a new macbook and then hook it up using Mini display port to Hdmi ...

maybe try tunring off the internal monitor,... and also, why go HD? I donÄt think your ibook can play HD movies? :confused:

i need it for the resolution. I use the adobe suite for art, animation, and photo editing, and the extra size would be great.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
i need it for the resolution. I use the adobe suite for art, animation, and photo editing, and the extra size would be great.

Thats true, but I never heard of VGA beign able to deliver such great reolutions! :eek: also have you considered that on a 32" screen even Full HD will not be very usefull for Working? I mean more important than raw disply size is always Pixel/inch ! so i.e my 22" samsung has 1680x1050 , that allot mor p/inch than your does! Just try hooking up a newer pc to that screen, and you will be able to see that this will not help you for your work allot, maybe as a proof screen..

eximius vir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
United Kingdom
Thats true, but I never heard of VGA beign able to deliver such great reolutions! :eek: also have you considered that on a 32" screen even Full HD will not be very usefull for Working? I mean more important than raw disply size is always Pixel/inch ! so i.e my 22" samsung has 1680x1050 , that allot mor p/inch than your does! Just try hooking up a newer pc to that screen, and you will be able to see that this will not help you for your work allot, maybe as a proof screen..

not too much less. 1920x1080 is a pretty large output, and only 10 inches bigger.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
which is why i bought the converter, which on the box states that it can do 1080p

weird... and you can't select a higher res for the monitor in OSX settings while NOT mirroring, and also did you try to turn off the internal monitor?

just connect the 2nd scrreen, close the lid... wait... then press some keys on a external keyboard and wake it up from sleep, the internal monitor is disabled then! :D

eximius vir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
United Kingdom
weird... and you can't select a higher res for the monitor in OSX settings while NOT mirroring, and also did you try to turn off the internal monitor?

just connect the 2nd scrreen, close the lid... wait... then press some keys on a external keyboard and wake it up from sleep, the internal monitor is disabled then! :D

i know how to do that, but when on the 1920x1080 setting all i get is a blank screen. it flickers for a second then goes out. the resolution appears on the list, it just won't display at anything above 1200x1024

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.