Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
I need to refill my iphone with some new video content, and ever since I was spoiled by being able to watch my Slingbox on my pocket pc, I absolutely refuse to buy any videos through itunes (unless they're movies in which case I can understand). In any case, I'm trying to complile a list of good FREE video content. I've stuck to what I've known for too long, and must have watched every episode of Best Week Ever 2 or 3 times now, so what's everybody else watching? Has anybody discovered any good full length video podcasts? I also remember reading that there were supposed to be a number of TV shows that were supposedly free to download but I can't find them (I think CSI, 30 Rock and the Office were among the few) - does anybody know what I'm talking about? I actually used to stream my Slingbox to my PC, record the stream, and then convert the video over to my iphone. While the quality of the videos was actually really good, it was just a bit too much work for me and I get lazy in the winter. Any other outside the box suggestions are welcomed though.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
I think my favorite podcast is The Digg Reel, i get that each week.

Thanks for the recomendation - downloaded a few episodes last night, I like it. Never would have found it on my own. Thanks again! Anybody else? I know there are others!

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the recomendation - downloaded a few episodes last night, I like it. Never would have found it on my own. Thanks again! Anybody else? I know there are others!

Whenever I'm in the mood for new stuff, I just cruise the iTunes store.

They have everything sorted into genres, and into Audio or Video. So if you want techy video stuff - it's there for your (it's even sorted by popularity or Staff's Picks). Want audio stuff all about new music - it's there too. And so forth and so on.

Instead of waiting for replies ... just go cruise the store. It'll be faster and more satisfying in the end anyhow!

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
GeekBrief TV !!
CNET TV
College Humor TV
NASA's JPL HD (if you like space stuff)
Hidden Universe HD (same)
Hubblecast HD
MacMerc.TV
NOVA Vodcast (for some short sciency stuff)
DIGGNation (if you like diggreel)

Also depends what stuff youre into, tech, comedy, surfing?

Evev12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
GeekBrief TV !!
CNET TV
College Humor TV
NASA's JPL HD (if you like space stuff)
Hidden Universe HD (same)
Hubblecast HD
MacMerc.TV
NOVA Vodcast (for some short sciency stuff)
DIGGNation (if you like diggreel)

Also depends what stuff youre into, tech, comedy, surfing?

Ooo, nice little list, thanks buddy! Yeah, I've seen Diggnation, it is pretty funny. I like comedy - I live in Manhattan and have a nice 45 minute reverse commute in the morning, which I drive! There's nothing like some good humor to start my day off (and end it) with a smile. I know driving and watching TV isn't a very bright idea to say the least, but I find that the mental stimulation actually keeps me from getting heavy eyelids behind the wheel (besides, I don't so much WATCH the video as I do glance at it).

Keep 'em comming!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I've been able to use eyeTV 250 plus ($169) and I'm able to download any TV series, similar to a DVR but the download goes directly to my desktop or MBAir. I know it's not free (eyeTV device), nor is it live TV, but usually TV programs are available within the past 90 days. I've downloaded all of season four - Weeds, even some of the College Football Bowl games are in my library, and I just got this thing on Tuesday at MWSF '09...:cool:

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
I've been able to use eyeTV 250 plus ($169) and I'm able to download any TV series, similar to a DVR but the download goes directly to my desktop or MBAir. I know it's not free (eyeTV device), nor is it live TV, but usually TV programs are available within the past 90 days. I've downloaded all of season four - Weeds, even some of the College Football Bowl games are in my library, and I just got this thing on Tuesday at MWSF '09...:cool:

Sorry to get off topic, but how's the quality with the EyeTV? Is there any loss of quality from the cable or sat. box to your hard drive? Do you use it with HD or SD?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Sorry to get off topic, but how's the quality with the EyeTV? Is there any loss of quality from the cable or sat. box to your hard drive? Do you use it with HD or SD?

Sorry for the late response, but I was in a different forum and addressing a PM from another member.

I'm really impressed with the quality of eyeTV for HDTV on my MBAir or while hooked up to my Sony Bravia 40" LCD or transferring TV shows to my 3G iPhone. I feel the quality via my Comcast Cable is pretty awesome, but the eyeTV's viewing on a larger screen seems to lessen HD than on my MBAir or iPhone. I've only been using it since Tuesday, when I bought it at Macworld SF '09, so it's still pretty new to me, but quite exciting to watch my favorite shows and some of the BCS football games on my iPhone or MBAir. It's definitely is better than my Comcast DVR which I can't download to my computers... Earl

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Sorry for the late response, but I was in a different forum and addressing a PM from another member.

I'm really impressed with the quality of eyeTV for HDTV on my MBAir or while hooked up to my Sony Bravia 40" LCD or transferring TV shows to my 3G iPhone. I feel the quality via my Comcast Cable is pretty awesome, but the eyeTV's viewing on a larger screen seems to lessen HD than on my MBAir or iPhone. I've only been using it since Tuesday, when I bought it at Macworld SF '09, so it's still pretty new to me, but quite exciting to watch my favorite shows and some of the BCS football games on my iPhone or MBAir. It's definitely is better than my Comcast DVR which I can't download to my computers... Earl

Interesting. Thanks for the reply man. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.