Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arnieterm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Though not started working on the below given scenario but gathering info before starting work:
Using iPhone, I have to access a python web service hosted on google app engine.
1] Does the web service needs to be a WSGI application [Correct me, if appropriate as I am a fresher at python side]?
2] Web services created in microsoft .net needs to be converted to REST before accessing them from iphone, so do i need to convert my python web service too into REST enabled?

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
A simple REST-based service would be the simplest thing to interact with (especially if you use JSON as the transport format, which is a lot easier to parse than XML).

arnieterm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Thanks for a quick reply
I am totally new at python side and struggling for a way to create even for a simple web service using python. Can you tell me a way to create one for a google app engine or any relevant simple link for the same?
I have read the google App engine "Getting started guide" but it nowhere mentions about web service and just talks about wsgi applications so I am a little confused in this too. If I create a wsgi application that doesn't expose any user interface using google app engine sdk, will it be called a web service or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.