Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Every day I have to manually go to the Applications section and click "Check for Updates" and then click download all if there are any. Is there a way to get iTunes to automatically check for and download application updates?

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Downloads have to be started manually, but my iTunes automatically checks for new updates...

jfgrissom

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
San Diego, CA
Bummer...

Almost 2011... its a shame this isn't a feature...

I hate seeing that apps require my intervention for download... (especially ones that are free...)

Does anyone else think this would be a cool feature?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006

I hate seeing that apps require my intervention for download... (especially ones that are free...)

Not sure what you're saying. Software Update automatically downloads iTunes updates without intervention. (Of course, it does the same for all Apple-related updates.)

Do you want it to automatically install them too?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not sure what you're saying. Software Update automatically downloads iTunes updates without intervention. (Of course, it does the same for all Apple-related updates.)

Do you want it to automatically install them too?

I believe the thread is for actual itunes apps, for iOS devices (like games, etc.)

In which case, iTunes should indicate when new updates are available, but it may not always be instantly. There is no way (as far as I know) to have it download the updates automatically, though. And that's pretty much OS wide with Apple.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I believe the thread is for actual itunes apps, for iOS devices (like games, etc.)

In which case, iTunes should indicate when new updates are available, but it may not always be instantly. There is no way (as far as I know) to have it download the updates automatically, though. And that's pretty much OS wide with Apple.

Thanks for the clarification.

hanguolaohu

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2007
Yeah, it's amazing how Apple has autoupdate everything except for the iOS apps which update all the time. This should be fixed.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

Yes. At a minimum if there are apps to update, it should bring up a pop-up dialog with a one-click "update all" or a box like for software update, where you can choose which ones to update. Even iTMS on the iPhone gives a badge for the number of updates each time you open the app--iTunes doesn't even do that.

It's a pain. And most of the time when I hit "update all" it tells me the information is outdated, and to hit refresh.

kaz219

macrumors member
May 8, 2006
Even iTMS on the iPhone gives a badge for the number of updates each time you open the app--iTunes doesn't even do that.

That’s not true. In iTunes, under Library, you will see a badge with a number next to “Apps”. This is the number of updates available.

But I want the free updates to be automatically applied when I sync my iPhone.

vermagic

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2006
Yes - this would be a wonderful addition

I would love it if apple or an independent developer came up with an Automatically Update ALL apps for my iphone, ipad etc... If you have any number of apps, you are updating every day or so - so it takes a lot of time to keep doing this and entering your password etc... it feels very "windows" to me.

I've already downloaded the app - why wouldn't I want the updates. Updates have all been free but they could add a checkbox that says, do not auto update apps if any funds are needed etc...

A great feature - maybe coming soon? Someone, please???

Even if it only does it from within iTunes (as opposed to on the mobile devices) it would still save time.

phoofa

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
South Australia
Set the time to update too

It'd be great to set the time to update too. Say, after midnight when my download quota is doubled...

Can automator help us with this idea somehow?
:eek:

johnsonl33

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Yes please

Hoping more responses on this topic will make Apple more likely to install this feature.

Clicking "Download All Free Updates" every night is getting old.

00000119.png

biver

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
It's now possible for jailbreaks to auto update apps

Check out "Auto App Updater" on the ModMyI.com repo.

It does exactly that! I just installed it and it's perfect. For those of you that are worried that it's a bad idea to update apps without making sure they don't have "major bugs" should turn off auto updates for your mission critical apps in the settings. Problem solved.

http://modmyi.com/content/10439-auto...C+Homepage+All)

HUDSUP

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
Free iTunes Codes for real ends 4/30/13

I just got some free iTunes from freeitunesforever com

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
The only reason for updates not to auto update that I can think of is that some updates are extremely large. The recent GarageBand update comes to mind. It was so large, I received a warning not to download as I was "out in the world" and had no wifi; the warning was to the effect that I was in danger of using up a ton of my data plan on this one app update.

Reactions: 26139

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
This really should be a tick-box in iTunes preferences now, a daily update check and automatic download of updates.

And on the iPhones and iPads the stupid 50Mb filesize limit should be lifted, as a preference you can untick, so those of us on unlimited data can download on the fly, Seems stupid i can use my iPhone to tether to my Macbook and download gigabytes of data, even install games on steam, but i cant install an iphone app over 50Mb on the same phone.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Personally, I'm glad these apps don't auto update. When I have iOS updated apps available, I always wait a day and check the reviews from the iTunes Store to make sure the update doesn't screw something up. This has saved me trouble on several occasions.

Updates in the App stores (Mac & iOS) aren't always good things.

Reactions: 26139

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Still updating iOS apps everyday on my MBP!

I think this thread got off the topic at times. The OP wanted to know if there was a way to auto-update iOS apps on your computer in iTunes...not on your iDevice. The thread is old enough that iOS 7 has come along and added the auto-update functionality to apps on iDevices. For people like me, with 9 iDevices in our family that is a godsend. However, as far as I know there is still no way to auto-update iOS apps in iTunes on your computer. I have 4 computers in our household and I feel like I spend half my life updating iOS apps on these computers...considering how often these apps are updated. I thought Mavericks would introduce an update to iTunes that would add auto-update functionality. But, also, no go. :(

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I like to update my apps on iTunes, where they don't use up phone contract bandwidth. But why do I need to do it manually every day?

Of course, I have to check my podcasts daily, as the podcast menu is buggy - so until they fix that, I still have to work manually.

JDEinFLL

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Every day I have to manually go to the Applications section and click "Check for Updates" and then click download all if there are any. Is there a way to get iTunes to automatically check for and download application updates?

For apps that are important to things I do, I never download the app as soon as an update is released, unless there's a major problem with the current version. Sometimes updates often create problems the previous version did not have or the author introduces a new function I do not want (such as adding annoying po-up advertisements in the latest version that weren't in the previous version). I prefer to wait to update an app until the new version has been out for a while and people who updated immediately review the latest version on the app store. How many times have you seen reviews for the latest version complaining about how bad it is compared to a previous version? That said, it would be nice if there was an app-by-app option to autoupdate when a new version is released, or not. That way, I could autoupdate my non-essential apps when a new version is released.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Yes please

Hoping more responses on this topic will make Apple more likely to install this feature.

Clicking "Download All Free Updates" every night is getting old.

00000119.png

Very old. I suppose we could automate with a script. But we should be able to configure this automatically. That said, every time I start iTunes with my phone plugged in, I get a window asking if I want to transfer purchased items it found on the iPhone (without letting me know what they are). I always say "yes", but nothing happens. Apple doesn't seem to be interested in "just working".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.