Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I am quite interested in appleTV and like the idea of renting the movies. However, the one thing that puts me off is that I am in the UK. The new software and movie rental idea appeals to me but whats the liklihood of this being as good in the UK as it will be in the US?

I recently bought an American copy of Family Guy, Blue Harvest, and even although I got my digital copy on disc I couldn't download it as I wasn't a US or Canadian resident. It got me thinking how much of a problem this will be in the uk. Also, why, release a digital copy but give you a disc to download it in the case of family guy?

meckime

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
I had the same problem as I'm living in Switzerland.

Here is what you can do:
Open a new US-account in iTunes - just use a fake US address and either purchase iTunes Gift-cards in a US Apple retail store or get them from eBay.

I usually buy lots of iTunes gift cards when I'm in the US and download TV Shows and Movies to watch on my AppleTV.

Enjoy
-MeckiMe

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I am quite interested in appleTV and like the idea of renting the movies. However, the one thing that puts me off is that I am in the UK. The new software and movie rental idea appeals to me but whats the liklihood of this being as good in the UK as it will be in the US?

I recently bought an American copy of Family Guy, Blue Harvest, and even although I got my digital copy on disc I couldn't download it as I wasn't a US or Canadian resident. It got me thinking how much of a problem this will be in the uk. Also, why, release a digital copy but give you a disc to download it in the case of family guy?

I started the same thread as this a while ago. I was advised to buy a US iTunes Gift Card off ebay.com (not .co.uk), and when you redeem it, it asks you to register a US iTunes account (use an address for a US hotel or something).

I did this, now have approximately $80 in my US iTunes account, my AppleTV arrived this morning (as you can currently buy one from the refurb store for £135), and I'm loving it.

Hope this helps

spleenboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Apologies for bumping such an old topic, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Does the above procedure still work? I bought my ATV today and am looking forward to setting up tonight!

Thanks in advance :)

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Apologies for bumping such an old topic, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Does the above procedure still work? I bought my ATV today and am looking forward to setting up tonight!

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, it still works.

woolyback

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
England
I started the same thread as this a while ago. I was advised to buy a US iTunes Gift Card off ebay.com (not .co.uk), and when you redeem it, it asks you to register a US iTunes account (use an address for a US hotel or something).

I've wondered about this for a while and it stopped me buying vouchers last time I was in the States as I wasn't sure I'd be able to use them;

If I did the above, can I put the US purchases into the same iTunes library as my UK iTunes account uses, or will I end up with 2 separate libraries ?

OR, if I buy via the :apple:TV using the US vouchers, will I be able to sync purchases back to my normal (UK) library/account ?
:confused:

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
You have one library, but two separate itunes accounts (one for the UK and one for the US). Anything you buy goes into your one library, regardless of where you buy it from

The only thing you have to watch out for is that any devices you sync to (ie ipod, iphone, apple tv), the itunes store on that device will be the one you are logged into when you last sync'd. The only way you can change it on the device is to log into the other on your PC and then re-sync.

You will also have two different balances for your two accounts, a US$ balance of your US account for use in the US store, and a UK£ balance for use on the UK store.

Otherwise, it is a simple and flawless process.

spleenboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Great stuff, thanks guys.

I read that it's worth using a component connection as HDMI won't play US content on a UK ATV - is this also correct?

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Incorrect. I'm in the UK playing stuff downloaded from the US store, and my Apple TV is connected to my TV with a HDMI cable with no problems at all.

Hope this helps, and all the best.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I would be careful with ebay, if you know someone that lives in the US, you are better off getting from them.

A lot of the vouchers on ebay are bought with stolen credit cards, so when the credit card company finds out, they tell Apple and Apple in turn takes the money out of your itunes account.

rball1979

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
I would be careful with ebay, if you know someone that lives in the US, you are better off getting from them.

A lot of the vouchers on ebay are bought with stolen credit cards, so when the credit card company finds out, they tell Apple and Apple in turn takes the money out of your itunes account.

Last I heard eBay have stopped all itunes gift card sales on their site....

danunwin

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
You have one library, but two separate itunes accounts (one for the UK and one for the US). Anything you buy goes into your one library, regardless of where you buy it from

The only thing you have to watch out for is that any devices you sync to (ie ipod, iphone, apple tv), the itunes store on that device will be the one you are logged into when you last sync'd. The only way you can change it on the device is to log into the other on your PC and then re-sync.

You will also have two different balances for your two accounts, a US$ balance of your US account for use in the US store, and a UK£ balance for use on the UK store.

Otherwise, it is a simple and flawless process.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to mac so "Hi to everyone"

Just a thought on the above, I've set up my US account but read somewhere else that it's best to stay as discreet as possible in relation to Apple realising your not in the US.

Is there any feed back sent to Apple about what account is on what PC? especially when it comes to authorising the PC to use the account.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.