Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Just a couple quick questions and advice on burning music for my iPhone.

What is the best format to encode in when using iTunes? And when you purchase music from iTunes, what format is it?

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
If you're not an audiophile, I would say don't bother with anything more than 192kbs for mp3 and aac. If you want to be sure of compatibility with any device ever, put into mp3, otherwise, aac will give you slightly better quality and smaller file sizes.

All music from iTunes is encoded in aac, but the iTunes plus stuff is 256kbs and drm-free, while the rest is 128kbs iirc.

Obviously, if you don't care about space the files will take and value sound quality the most, Apple lossless or 320kbs mp3 will always be good.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
If you're not an audiophile, I would say don't bother with anything more than 192kbs for mp3 and aac. If you want to be sure of compatibility with any device ever, put into mp3, otherwise, aac will give you slightly better quality and smaller file sizes.

All music from iTunes is encoded in aac, but the iTunes plus stuff is 256kbs and drm-free, while the rest is 128kbs iirc.

Obviously, if you don't care about space the files will take and value sound quality the most, Apple lossless or 320kbs mp3 will always be good.

Well, if my iPhone was bigger then 16 Gig I would go with higher quality. I wish it was 32 Gig, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.