Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Here's the setup:

MBP 2.2; OSX 10.4.11; Airport Express 802.11n (version 7.3.2); WD MyBook 320GB (format Mac OS Extended)

Here's the problem:

I'm trying to get the WD HDD setup as a wireless hard drive, but it's not showing up at all in Airport Utility (I don't even have a 'disk' tab in the 'manual setup' menu). Airport Disk Utility just says "no airport disks found."

Of course the HDD works fine when plugged in directly to the MBP.

I've searched apple support and these forums, but haven't found anything that works yet. All help I have found says use the 'disk tab' in AE manual setup window. What do I do without a 'disk' tab? (or how do I get one?) is this a firmware/software issue with the AE?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
Original poster
one more piece of info:

I mentioned in the original post that I don't have a 'disk' tab. I should also mention that in the airport utility 'settings' menu, there is a 'disk' option (apple-5), but it is gray. does that mean it is non-functioning or that no disk is found?

thanks for your help!

Applespider

macrumors G4
I don't think the Express's USB supports hard drives. I thought it only recognised printers.

EDIT. From Apple

AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n
Single powered USB printer directly into the USB port, or several printers to the base station via a powered USB hub
Additionally, you may use the Keyspan Express Remote. If you want to use the remote and a printer at the same time, it's OK to use a powered USB hub to make that possible.

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
Original poster
grrrrr. That is totally lame. I used to have an AEBS, which of course supported the disk. But I switched to the AE, because I wanted the wireless speaker output. Didn't realize I gave up such an important feature for wireless music.

so, APPLE, why can't you give us both? would it be that hard to put a speaker jack on the AEBS, or to provide disk support on the AE?

or are they hoping that we'll buy both? (yeah right)

thanks for the feedback. This thread can now close, or become a handy place for us to rant about the shortcomings of AE and AEBS.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
These "shortcomings" as you describe them have been made publically known by Apple to all. It's unfortunate that you aren't able to do what you initially wanted to with your setup, but think about it, who'd by an AEBS if they could do it all with the Express? Or vice versa?

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Just think of the premium you'd have to pay if Apple released a device capable of all of that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.