Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
You know you're really getting old when the newly announced Doctor is six-and-a-half years younger than you. Blimey. :eek:

To be honest, I've no problem at all with his age – there's something Merlinesque about him appearing physically younger as he gets chronologically older that suits the character really well. If Smith can bring a good enough air of authority to the Doctor then his apparent youth doesn't matter just as long as – as BV alludes to – they don't have him going around snogging everyone in sight, which isn't behaviour that becomes the good Doctor.

It should also be considered that these days – due to the shorter, faster paced stories and also differing audience expectations – the Doctor tends to be a bit more 'action', so a younger, fitter actor would perhaps be better suited than one of more 'advanced' years.

Two things that do concern me a little though... watching the reveal show and all the montages of his previous work, he does have a bit of a look of Tennant about him, hopefully when it comes to it there'll be a marked difference between Ten and Eleven. Also, Smith's background is very much theatrical – playing the Doctor will take up a big chunk of his year, for how long will he be happy for a single TV role to put his stage career on the backburner?

Still, it's only fair to judge him once we've actually seen ownership of the TARDIS pass into his hands so we'll all have to wait until next year – I suppose the next big (and almost equally exciting for us Whovians) reveal will be... what will the new Doctor be wearing? :D

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
To be honest, I've no problem at all with his age – there's something Merlinesque about him appearing physically younger as he gets chronologically older that suits the character really well. If Smith can bring a good enough air of authority to the Doctor then his apparent youth doesn't matter just as long as – as BV alludes to – they don't have him going around snogging everyone in sight, which isn't behaviour that becomes the good Doctor.

Once they get over their obsession with breaking rules for the sake of it, aka once Moffat takes over at last, this will hopefully be less fantastic a wish!

Modern Who is definitely an action adventure. I don't buy it what they said in the Confidential about the new format being the same as the old one. "Classic" Who is mostly children's horror, even when it's done as science fiction or as something historical. That said, as long as there's someone to run around, which there always was even when Hartnell was around, the fast pace shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully age as a factor was just washed away by the quality of this new actor's audition...!

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Is anyone else pretty disappointed with this choice of actor ?
I was really hoping for Robert Carlyle as soon as i heard his name mentioned i could just imagine him making a great doctor,
my second choice would have been Paterson Joseph,
but never would i have gave this matt smith a second glance when thinking of who could play the doctor, this guy just seems very flat after David Tennant.
But of course the best choice would have been Sean Bean ;) it would have been like sharpe set in time and space, that sounds like the best thing ever

I feel like a saboteur posting it since almost everyone on OG has a death wish for Lawrence Miles, but his thoughts about the casting are interesting, as his thoughts always are:

http://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/

Ha, i See this guy agreed with me on Carlyle

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I wanted to see him as the Doctor too but after watching his other shows recently I don't think he's got the breadth to portray someone with such wide-ranging acting requirements as the Doctor. He's cool, funny but I don't think I've ever seen him done rampant, child-like excitement that the Doctor seems to have.

I still don't like this new guy. One of my teammates on L4D summed up my thoughts on the decision...

Attachments

• l4d_airport02_offices0001.jpg
    l4d_airport02_offices0001.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 112

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Is anyone else pretty disappointed with this choice of actor ?
I was really hoping for Robert Carlyle as soon as i heard his name mentioned i could just imagine him making a great doctor,
but never would i have gave this matt smith a second glance when thinking of who could play the doctor, this guy just seems very flat after David Tennant.
But of course the best choice would have been Sean Bean ;) it would have been like sharpe set in time and space, that sounds like the best thing ever

Ha, i See this guy agreed with me on Carlyle

Problem with Carlyle is that he signed on to do the new Stargate series. He was out of the running a long time ago.

w00master

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Maybe it will be Tennant and all of this talk about a new Doctor has been a press stunt.

I can hope... :(

After seeing the title for the Xmas Special there was a part of me that really hoped that Tennant's leaving was going to be a way of getting people to really tune in to an episode titled "The Next Doctor."

Well, I'm sure I'll hate Smith for at least half if not all of season 5, but after he does 2-3 years, I'll be sad when he leaves and ready to hate the next Doctor.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Well, I'm sure I'll hate Smith for at least half if not all of season 5, but after he does 2-3 years, I'll be sad when he leaves and ready to hate the next Doctor.

And after him, only 2 Doctors left I guess! :eek: ;) :D

Nah, I'm sure they'll bend the rules somehow when the time comes... ;)

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
And after him, only 2 Doctors left I guess! :eek: ;) :D

Nah, I'm sure they'll bend the rules somehow when the time comes... ;)

That's easy, couldn't the council grant and rescind regenerations to a Timelord? Now that he's the only one left doesn't that make him the council?

Also couldn't the younger regenerations be a subconscious effort to find more of a relationship now that the Timelords are gone? Don't some Timelords have control over their regenerations and appearance? Maybe there's a multi-year arc planned where he finally figures this out and becomes older (and meets the woman from the Library, again, or for the first time depending on your perspective).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
That's easy, couldn't the council grant and rescind regenerations to a Timelord? Now that he's the only one left doesn't that make him the council?

It does indeed, good point! :) :D

Also couldn't the younger regenerations be a subconscious effort to find more of a relationship now that the Timelords are gone? Don't some Timelords have control over their regenerations and appearance? Maybe there's a multi-year arc planned where he finally figures this out and becomes older (and meets the woman from the Library, again, or for the first time depending on your perspective).

Perhaps - and yes, Romana could control her appearance, so it is possible. Ever since McCoy the Doctor's regenerations have been getting younger, so it's an interesting trend. Perhaps the 13th Doctor will be some pre-pubescent little brat! :eek: :p

I think these guys might have worked out the reason we have a relatively unknown actor taking on the mantle of the Doctor... :p

Haha, that's pretty good. Well, these are tough economic times, you have to save money where you can.. ;)

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Any Dr Who Fans? Need help...

In my sons primary school, his teacher has placed all the kids into a group of 3-4 children..
its based on the Dr Who theme..

So my son is in the "Cyberman" group.. and there's also an "Adipose" group etc...

There's one group I cannot seem to work out what it is..
the way he pronounces it (he's 4) is "BannerKafaLaka"..

I have no idea if that's one word or 3 words but just cannot find out what it is... at first I thought it was he Banner Men, but it's not.. as "KafaLaka" doesn't appear (haha)

Searched many google sites including this one and this one

if anyone is an avid Dr Who fan and can help out, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Yes, obviously a serious one at that as those are some less obvious choices, as opposed to just using Cybermen and Daleks. ;)

Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe would have been a good one to pick...

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Yes, obviously a serious one at that as those are some less obvious choices, as opposed to just using Cybermen and Daleks. ;)

yes, there's Daleks as well.. i mean.. i know o the usual suspects, but when kids go home and start telling their parents "i''m in the bannakaffaltte" group... i'd be like wtf school is this?

another group is EMPRESS OF RACNOSS!!

Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe would have been a good one to pick...

I actually (attempted) to read that to him and he just looked at me blank faced.. so I assume that wasn't one of them :D

I also really love this pic:... although needs updating to use an iPhone 3G .. PHONE HOME (or is that ET? LMAO)

ipod_dalek.jpg

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Oh I'm well past that I'm afraid - you're talking to the guy who has every Who episode ever made in AVI format spanning 50+ DVD-Rs and totaling over 160 GB. I'm lost to the time vortex forever.... :cool:

I am aware of how sad er, obsessed erm... much of a Dr Who fan you are...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.