Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seijuro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Hello all,

I just recently installed boot camp with windows xp professional on my macbook pro successfully with no problems... I could go back and forth from mac to xp seamlessly, boots up fine, everything was cool.

I then for some reason decided to install the new Mac Intel Firmware on OS X(166mb). I shutdown the computer, turned it back on and now, it goes pass the grey mac logo to the blue load screen, but the login box never pops up. It only has that loading gear indicator thing come up every now and then and stays on the screen for what seems like eternity. I could load XP perfectly fine, but Mac OS X does not load.... which is horrible because I have a lot of important files on the OS X. :mad:

Now the question is, is my OS X HD failing? What could cause it if it is? The Intel firmware install (can I downgrade this?)? or because of Boot Camp Partition? Do I have a chance of making Mac OS start up normally again? :confused: sorry for the noob questions

Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz (Intel) Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger

Please help!? :confused:

seijuro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
I got the Intel Firmware update directly from the mac software update...So I'm assuming this should not cause problems since its authentic, which is the strange part

seijuro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Well since the macbook pro came from my school, they never gave us a startup disk (which is stupid)... so I started up mac in single user mode (mac+s) and typed in fsck -yf for manual disk repair... after the analyzation, it said that the HD appeared to be normal. If its normal why can't mac boot up???? what could I do so that it does??? :confused:

seijuro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Yes,the HD drive does appear as a boot disk (macintosh_HD) and you can select it.... but once you select it gets to the blue background screen and hangs there with the loading gear indicator and The login box never pops up... what else can I do, am I doomed?

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
Yes,the HD drive does appear as a boot disk (macintosh_HD) and you can select it.... but once you select it gets to the blue background screen and hangs there with the loading gear indicator and The login box never pops up... what else can I do, am I doomed?

This happened to me just today!! I was installing updates on my Mac too but did not have Windows on my Mac yet, the only solution was, to reinstall it from scratch, I just had mine done by the technicians in my school and they backed up my stuff too, very kind of them to do so, but unfortunately I did not know how to back up my stuff. I suggest you take your Mac to an Apple Centre near by.

By the way, when I started up, it said that it could not locate my OSX HD which is pretty screwed up.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Never hurts to try booting in safe mode by holding Shift at the chime. I would also do Ye Olde Resetting of PRAM by holding Option-Command-P-R at the chime.

babby nuts

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
helo

im having the same problem with my macbook. one day i decided to delete my root acount but i copy and pasted the codes twice. then it started acting wierd so i reboted it and know it just stays @ the booting screen., honestly i just fell like trading it for a 64g ipod touch with a craked screen. dont know what to do my macbook is a peace.

Please please help

thanx

Yoshi7210

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Install disc is your saving grace.

Pop in the install disc and boot up from it. Acess BootCamp and make sure the partition is correct. It seems you have partitioned it to only Windows. Make make sure part of the partition always goes to OS X.

Yoshi7210

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Edit!

Just read a post above (u have no install disc) Buy one specifically for MacBook from
eBay. (or tell Apple)

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yoshi7210 said:
Just read a post above (u have no install disc) Buy one specifically for MacBook from
eBay. (or tell Apple)

You cannot buy one from eBay. Mac OS X Install DVD's are specific to that Mac and that Mac only

Your only choice if you need install discs is to contact Apple and ask for replacement ones for a small fee.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

strausd said:
Your only choice if you need install discs is to contact Apple and ask for replacement ones for a small fee.

I heard you can get it for free if you are still on Applecare

Never heard of that but it could be

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Incorrect. Mac OS X Install DVD's can only be used on one Mac and that's the Mac they came with.

Incorrect. Mac OS X Install DVD’s (the one’s that ship with a Mac) can only be used on one Mac model, and that is the model they came with. I work with these all the time. I have done this many times.

However, it’s probably easier to just call Apple and order replacement disks than to find exactly the right disks on eBay.

jW

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Incorrect. Mac OS X Install DVD’s (the one’s that ship with a Mac) can only be used on one Mac model, and that is the model they came with. I work with these all the time. I have done this many times.

However, it’s probably easier to just call Apple and order replacement disks than to find exactly the right disks on eBay.

jW

Clearly you have not - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/368256/

There are hundreds of other threads around here that say the same thing. Mac OS X Install DVD's are machine specific. You cannot use them in ANY OTHER Mac other than the one they came with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.