Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
when i insert my thumb drive (usb) iphoto launches. it doesn't offer to import, just gets in my way! i'm sure there are a few photos on the drive, but the bulk of what's on there is other data types, text, pdf, a bunch of stuff...

so can i make iphoto stop launching?
tia, erica

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Saw this on another forum for iPhoto '08. Hope it helps you.

iPhoto -> Preferences -> General

Set the option to choose 'Do Nothing' when a camera is attached.

ericac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
right, i know about that preference... but I do have a camera I use, too, and like that iphoto launches when I plug that in. I also have an external harddrive that plugs in via usb and iphoto does not launch. I was hoping I could flag the drive somehow as "don't launch iphoto when mounting".

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
You could try System Preferences -> CDs and DVDs -> When you insert a picture CD [Ignore].

I don't know if that counts for USB drives as well, though.

ericac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
You could try System Preferences -> CDs and DVDs -> When you insert a picture CD [Ignore].

I don't know if that counts for USB drives as well, though.

It sounded good :D but unfortunately did not change the behavior...

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
By any chance do you have a folder named DCIM on the flash drive? iPhoto is expecting a similarly named folder when you connect a digital camera so when the Mac detects a connected device with such a folder it may auto-launch. Just regular JPEGs on a flash drive shouldn't cause it to open like that.

ericac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
By any chance do you have a folder named DCIM on the flash drive?

Ah ha!! No, I did not have a DCIM, but in that vein, I renamed "images" to something else and iphoto quit launching :D

yay, thank you very much!!!

b.d.jones

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
who'd of thought

This same issue was making me crazy with a kingston 4GB thumb drive. None of my other drives behaved this way - so I assumed it was something about the identifier branded to the kingston drive. Turns out I also had a folder called "images". Renamed it - problem solved. I assume this was a result of one of those "intelligent" upgrades to IPhoto. I rather strongly suspect we are not the only ones to go through this recently...

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.