Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi all,

I figured plenty of you guy/girls use these chairs - I have been eying the herman miller aeron for a long time. I was going to buy a new celle but happen to find a used aeron for the same price. Anyway, odds are this is the real deal, i am buying from an individual, not some shady online store. But I was just curious if there are any sure fire ways to be 100% certain its the real deal and if there is anything (other than snags in the pellicle) that I should look for in terms of damage/flaws? The price isn't so low as to lead me to believe its fake, and the seller seems honest enough, but never can be too careful you know? I have sat in these chairs a few times, so I have seen them in person before, so i know roughly what it should look like. Thanks in advance for any input. I am supposed to pick up the chair tonight.

Thanks - Chris

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Unless it's a bastardisation of the design - and there are many of those around - making a fake Aeron in terms of getting the structure correct would be pretty hard.

I'd look for wear if it's cheap. Extremely shiny armrests for example would denote hard usage over years. The oldest Aerons in the office (originally salvaged from a dot bomb - no I didn't get a deal, it was my dot bomb) are noticeably 'saggy' when you sit on them compared to newer ones.

Reactions: shadowbird423

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Look local, there is usually at least one big discount office store dealing in the chairs in each state.

Plus the multitude of used office equipment stores around, probably one near you if you are in a big metro area.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys. I just wasn't sure if there was some really good knock offs out there or if I would readily know. The guy I bought it off of was super nice, as was his wife. This is def a legit chair. He switched to a Knoll Life chair, and was getting rid of his aeron. Boy oh boy did I get a great deal, I am still smiling from my good luck. I was expecting the base aeron. This is the highly adjustable version, posture fit, lead (dark grey) (edit) "Tuxedo" pellicle, and there is literally not a scratch on it. He said it was two years old but it must have been a seldom used two years. No wear on the arms or even on the legs by the wheels where most people rest their feet. I was extremely impressed. The best part was he was only asking $450 and took $400. I havent cleaned up my desk, but I snapped a quick iphone pic of it. I think my set up is finally ready to make the "post your setup" thread lol....

Thanks again for the help -

Attachments

• IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 7,008

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Good deal. I've not actually found the Aeron as great in terms of sitting posture as feted, but as a plus point it is cool in summer and I guess farts don't linger. Not that I do fart often in my chairs. Nope.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Good deal. I've not actually found the Aeron as great in terms of sitting posture as feted, but as a plus point it is cool in summer and I guess farts don't linger. Not that I do fart often in my chairs. Nope.

Don't worry, when you turn 60 ... the farts have a 50/50 chance of turning into a mess that does linger.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Anything beats the cardboard and foam el-cheap-o i had before. As breathable as "fleather" is, I think the pellicle will be better. Oh and yeah the fart thing is a plus too I suppose.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Congrats on the Aeron, and at a really good price. I have one at the office and one at home. I don’t find them to be the perfect chair, but close. Certainly the best I’ve tried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.