Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolarCanoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hi there everybody

So as in my previous posts, I dropped my MacBook and now the hard disk is inaccesible. I have 2500 photos of which I don't have backed up on that hard drive and I really want to try and retrieve them by any means neccesary. They are worth more to me then the MacBook.

So I was curious how to run the disk repair from the disk you get with the computer. I put the disk in and held down C while turning it on like everyone suggested, but it just took me to the screen to reinstall the OS. If I did this wouldnt I lose all my photos and documents and everything?

If it helps at all, I have windows XP via bootcamp and using macdrive on windows I can acess and browse my files on the mac side, but once i go to copy them, it just says the hard disk isn't readable.

Anyways if anyone could tell me how to run the disk repair, or any way possible of retrieving my photos I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much

Nigel

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
So I was curious how to run the disk repair from the disk you get with the computer. I put the disk in and held down C while turning it on like everyone suggested, but it just took me to the screen to reinstall the OS. If I did this wouldnt I lose all my photos and documents and everything?

You would, yes. However, the installer also includes utilities that you may be able to use to recover your files. Under the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility, select your drive, and click Repair Disk.

SolarCanoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
You would, yes. However, the installer also includes utilities that you may be able to use to recover your files. Under the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility, select your drive, and click Repair Disk.

How would I get to the utilities menu? When i boot up the disc it goes to language selection as if i am installing the OS again. Thanks

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
How would I get to the utilities menu? When i boot up the disc it goes to language selection as if i am installing the OS again. Thanks

After you go through the select language, there should be a menu up top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.