Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Hi everyone,

We purchased two (2) iPod Touch for our kids this past Christmas. We found out one of them is using it to go to explicit sites we don't approve of. If I set a password and restrict Safari and YouTube, will they be able to override that password?

I can restrict WiFi access but we don't have a problem with letting them go to the Apple App Store and iTunes Store.

Thanks for any help.

mokeiko

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi everyone,

We purchased two (2) iPod Touch for our kids this past Christmas. I We found out one of them is using it to go to explicit sites we don't approve on. If I set a password and restrict Safari and YouTube, will they be able to override that password?

I can restrict WiFi access but we don't have a problem with letting then go to the Apple App Store and iTunes Store.

Thanks for any help.

mokeiko

The only way they can override it is to restore the iPod using iTunes, or by selecting "Erase all content and settings" in the General Settings section on the iPod itself.
But I honestly wouldn't worry about them doing that, if they go onto explicit sites and don't clear their history or anything than I doubt they'd know the restore function exists

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Don't forget that you also have the parental controls in iTunes.

I've taken a look, and I can't readily see how you can enforce a password to be used when restoring the iPod. But as other posters indicate, kids aren't likely to do this unless they're really intent on doing it.

You can also tell them that iTunes tracks their movements. It's a white lie, but if they beleive it, then they're not likely to stray from the path of goodness.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks for the help. Our kids have access to one PC located in the living room where the wife and I spend most of our time. If they are using it, it's usually for research and/or purchasing iTunes music and transfering to their iPods. I am consantly watching what they do when they are online using the PC. I had reservations about getting them a device which gave them access to the internet but thought i could trust them to use better judgement, I should have known better, being I was a teen at one point in my life.

Our wireless router is set up to only allow known mac addresses for each device we own and also needs a password to connect. Hopefully if they even try to reset their iPod Touch, they would have to input the password again to gain access to the Internet. I try not to be controlling but at the same time I don't want to just hand them the keys to the house, so to speak. Thanks again for your help.

mokeiko

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
There are a few filtering apps "coming soon" for the phone/touch.

Mobicip and Safe Eyes (?? i thinkt hat is what it is called, the 2nd one). You should find more info on them in the past few weeks if you do a search on "parental controls". Some good tips too in those threads.

I had the same reservations, but haven't had to deal with it because i didn't end up going that route.

lindahl22

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
There are a few filtering apps "coming soon" for the phone/touch.

Mobicip and Safe Eyes (?? i thinkt hat is what it is called, the 2nd one). You should find more info on them in the past few weeks if you do a search on "parental controls". Some good tips too in those threads.

I had the same reservations, but haven't had to deal with it because i didn't end up going that route.

Best way to restrict bad websites: opendns.com
Us their DNS servers and wham your whole Internet is protected by blocks, wireless, everything....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.