Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atad6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I would like to be able to use my iphone as an extra monitor for my computer. It would be useful for things such as aim, growl or any other notification based apps that don't require much space.

I've found that the program screen recycler works (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22908/screenrecycler) all it requires is a vnc app on the iphone to work.

Because it works cross network the refresh rate is a bit slow but usable for notifications that don't require speed.

The problem now is finding a vnc app for the iphone that has no overlays on the screen as well as figuring out how to set the 320x480 resolution for the extra display. I tried using SwitchResX but couldn't get it to work correctly.

Has anyone attempted anything similar?

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
sounds like such a silly request. if you need something like aim on your iphone why dont you just use one of many apps that allows you to use aim?

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
how about having the phone display a keypad that you can set it next to your keyboard and use to input the computer

or let you add touch functionality on the computer

or have it be a physical clippad, you hit Crtl+C or the mac equivalent, and it physically shows the link or image for you until you need it.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Unfortunately this App only works with WiFi. Would be great if you could do this without WiFi by connecting the iPhone to a computer via the charging cord.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Unfortunately this App only works with WiFi. Would be great if you could do this without WiFi by connecting the iPhone to a computer via the charging cord.

yea but as long as you have an airport card it will work you just have your computer broadcast wifi and hookup to that.

Thanks for posting that program by the way. I'm an accounting major in college and using my the top line number keys on my pro doesn't work very well. I'm going to give this a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.