Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdmstar

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Yes its possible if you google 500 GB apple tv, you will be directed to a forum, that some guy already done.

1. You will need either a pata to usb adapter to copy/clone drive
2. You will then need a Sata 500GB drive.
3. Using another sata to usb adapter to copy it over again
4. stuff it all in the case, some minor modification is needed to make it fit but possible.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Yes its possible if you google 500 GB apple tv, you will be directed to a forum, that some guy already done.

1. You will need either a pata to usb adapter to copy/clone drive
2. You will then need a Sata 500GB drive.
3. Using another sata to usb adapter to copy it over again
4. stuff it all in the case, some minor modification is needed to make it fit but possible.

This?
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/530009424931/inc/1

Details are pretty sketchy. The link to the convertor module doesn't work.

jdmstar

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
This?
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/530009424931/inc/1

Details are pretty sketchy. The link to the convertor module doesn't work.

Which is kind of weird it worked for me yesterday its a European website. It costs 14 british pounds or something.

But if you follow the tutorial on edgadget, and apply it to the 500 gb one im pretty sure youd get the same results.

I was gunna bite the bullet and purchase a 500gb sata drive with the appropiate harnesses and see if it worked id put up a tut.

Starfury257

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
After a geeky little evening in, I've just upgraded my 40gig Apple TV successfully to 250gig. Thank you so much for posting this guide, it has been utterly priceless! The new WD HDD cost me £67.10, and a little set of Torx screwdrivers £2.30 (I didn't have any kicking about the house at all) - all in a cheaper upgrade than alot of the options out there. And, I seem to have gained way more ability using Terminal than I ever had before. :)

Just can't express how fantabulous this thread has been for my setup. I'm off to finish syncing up my media before I ramble any longer!

Thank you!! :D

BrendonSled

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
or you can just buy an external and have a 1TB :apple:tv like myself.
And if you install boxee you can set this up in less then 10 mins.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Nope, that drive is SATA according to Western Digital's web site. We've had discussions about it before - an error on NewEgg's web site.

Are you sure, Newegg isn't the only one with that product number and EIDE - WD3200BEVE. There have been some 320GB drives announced, but I've not found one actually for sale before today. And I tried pretty hard before I got my 250GB one (but haven't tried since). BTW, my 250GB still works great - don't plan to change.

I still have plenty of space on it. I was a little disappointed to find out that you cannot play Audible.com content on an AppleTV, but then again, I don't usually use ATV for music/books.

I still think the missing piece of Apple's product line is some sort of centralized home storage system. The Mac Mini is an interesting potential platform for that (or foundation of the platform). Some place where you could have lots of storage and some sort of backup capability.

Apple TV is another interesting potential foundation for a home server platform. Although it probably doesn't have enough umph! I wonder if my router isn't overwhelmed with a wired iMac, wireless notebook and desktop, iPhone, Vonage VOIP, and Apple TV. It all starts to add up!

Cave Man

macrumors 604

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Thanks for the fantastic thread. This would be great as a sticky if any mods are hanging around...

I've only just bought my Apple TV but am already itching to upgrade. Am just debating whether to do it by myself or to buy a 250gb HDD pre-formatted from eBay. Especially since I have no command line skills since the BBC computer! Any recommendations?

paduck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Thanks for the fantastic thread. This would be great as a sticky if any mods are hanging around...

I've only just bought my Apple TV but am already itching to upgrade. Am just debating whether to do it by myself or to buy a 250gb HDD pre-formatted from eBay. Especially since I have no command line skills since the BBC computer! Any recommendations?

There is a link to the new 320GB in a posting I made above. Here is a link for the 250GB version (WD2500BEVE) from Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136159

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Anybody tried the 320Gb drive? I'm picking up my ATV this week and wanted to get a bigger drive ordered.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Thanks to paduck for his instructions and all those who came before him. Now I have a 293.79 GB Apple TV!

Attachments

• iTunes.jpg
    iTunes.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 222
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.