Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I know it can store alot of music, but can it store other things as well? like illustrator or photoshop files as well?

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Yes, it will store and play music.

It will also store files and act as a firewire hard drive if you configure it properly.

I don't know much about this but: I think new functions that are going to be added to Panther will have the ability for you to have "home on ipod" which has something to do with being able to take your user settings from mac to mac I think.

(I haven't switched to Panther from Jag yet, but that might make me interested -- esp with Safari and Expose...)

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
It just seems that they market it so much toward how much music it can hold, i just never thought of it being anything more. Even on the apple website they just speak mostly of how many hours of music it can store.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Re: What does ipod do, exactly?

Originally posted by lazyboy922
I know it can store alot of music, but can it store other things as well? like illustrator or photoshop files as well?

See, this is why apple should make commercials that actually show what their products can do.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
That's because it was meant to be a music player.

However, it is good as an external FireWire hard drive. There has also been rumors of an Apple utility that would let you keep a copy of your home directory on your iPod so you could work "at home" on any OS X machine. I forget what it was called, but I believe it was found on the support pages for Panther.

Rumor was that it was originally an intended feature of Panther that got cut before release.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Don't forget...

Apple and Belkin teamed up to give you Voice Recording and Picture Storage as well. Need to purchase the add-on accessories though.

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
Re: Re: What does ipod do, exactly?

Originally posted by markjones05
See, this is why apple should make commercials that actually show what their products can do.
This is so true, I know people who are under the impression that if they get an iPod they have to use itunes and the only way they can get songs onto their ipod is by buying them off of itunes for a dollar a piece. So many people are under false impressions because they are ignorant and then they make false generalizations against apple/mac.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Just to echo what previous posters have said, an iPod is essentially a 15/20/40 GB portable Hard Drive. Yes, it can play music, but you can store anything on there that you want. You can sync your address book and contacts on it, play games, use it as a "travel alarm", and with one of those flash readers (or another Mac), you can transfer pictures from your digital camera onto it for storage, to free up your memory card.

It's a great little toy! :cool:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I have a complete Panther installation on my iPod. If something goes wrong with one of my Macs I can boot from the iPod. I also use it for backups and still have 1500 songs on it--plus a few free GB. It's a great little tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.