Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
How do I get the right-click in Boot Camp with WinXP to work? I have tried every key combination I know of, and can't figure out how to do it. Is there an option somewhere that must be enabled?

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Yes, and everything installed correctly as far as I know. I've got wireless internet, I see an Apple keyboard program running in the taskbar, hell, two finger scrolling is even working... however... I can't get a right click to save my life.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yes, and everything installed correctly as far as I know. I've got wireless internet, I see an Apple keyboard program running in the taskbar, hell, two finger scrolling is even working... however... I can't get a right click to save my life.

And, did we consult the README in BootCamp?

To right-click using a trackpad:
Place two fingers on the trackpad and click the trackpad button.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
The information on Apple's website says to use the right command key along with single clicking the trackpad. In the Installation Instructions (since there is not a README I can find, I will assume you are referring to this), it says to put two fingers on the trackpad and to click the button.

Neither of these solutions seems to be working, so I am going to assume that something did not install correctly with my drivers CD, so I'm going to try reinstalling.

domain

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Apparently for the newer version of Bootcamp, they replaced the right-click method from a background program (much like Brightness.exe and AppleTime.exe), to an actual Trackpad driver that will allow a two finger + click on the Trackpad as a right-click.

During my saga to install Vista, I kept wondering why the right-click functionality doesn't work, and finally when I gave up and moved back to XP I found that it still did not work. What I ended up having to do was force the Trackpad driver to install, as Windows seems to prefer a more generic (but signed) driver over the Apple specific (and unsigned) driver.

Your mileage may vary, but first check under USB devices to see if "Apple Trackpad" is listed. If not, you might try to reinstall the Bootcamp drivers, however what I ended up having to do is go there every single device in the "Human Interface Devices" list, try to update the driver, and see if Windows lists "Apple Trackpad" as a compatible device. Once the driver is installed, right-click functionality, and scrolling via the Trackpad works properly.

erikpmort

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
hey i was just going to post this question! so have you guys also gotten the volume buttons to work? that would be nice

Qussai

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
simply,

click and hold your two fingers in the trackpad and then click the mouse,

BUT you have to hold your two fingers on the pad.

:)

cg165

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

On the unibody mbp you use a 3 finger click for a right click and of course with an attached mouse, the buttons are the same in windows or leopard.

Bmode

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
California, USA
On XP in BootCamp for me, accessing the volume buttons on my desktop using the thin aluminum keyboard, it would be holding the FN key then the volume buttons! It also works for ejecting the CD-rom tray, and reloading a webpage.

How do you get a screen capture in BootCamp running XP Pro with the thin aluminum keyboard???

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Yeah I was about to post about this exact same thing, but then I read the comment about triple-finger clicking under Windows and that worked for me (Late 2008 MBP). I wonder why this is, its rather annoying to retrain yourself to do a triple finger click under Windows when it's only two fingers in OS X.

I also installed the 2.1 Boot Camp update for Vista x64. Odd stuff.

EugeneSA

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
South Africa
Macbook and virtual windows

I am in the situation that my bootcamp bootup windows responds to the 2 fingers tap, hold and click the left touchpad button. However, in VMware bootup of my bootcamp partition, the right click button works first time every time with the actual touchpad right button. So does the 2finger single click as a right click. Why so different? Why does it only work correctly in VMware?

yauidea

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
first time i install the BootCamp soft at Window,
The Right Click is work fine,

But after several IMPORTANT update at the mac OS,
the Right click function at the window XP side,
loss the function, and even now i cant fix this.....

slickvicpxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
Tripple Click

The two finger thing worked everywhere for me except in the task tray;
There I had to use a three finger click.
Hope this helps.

macanatolian

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
thanks

i just want to thank the room moderator yellow.yellow you may laugh but ive been using my windows-installed mac for around three months with the help of a usb receiver and wireless mouse..it has created much inconvenience for me but i had to because i didnt know how to right-click ...well i didnt read boot camp read me thank you very much...:)

Zujo

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
no help!!

tried everything in the thread!!

I'm on Windows 7 w/ 2008 mbp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.