Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Okay, I've done this before, so I know that my car stereo will burn recorded CDs....not CD-RWs but just the CD-Rs. So, the last two CDs that I've burned won't play in the car. I played them fine on my Mac so I know the CDs aren't bad. Is there a setting in my iTunes that I could have changed to make the content unreadable in the car player? I don't know alot about these things so I would need step by step instructions to find settings etc and what to change it to.

Thanks!

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
Where is that option?

One thing I found, I burned music and it played on CD player in house but wouldn't in car (1991 honda) and someone suggested the player may not be able to play burned CDs?

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Oh...okay!

:eek: How embarassing! I just checked my settings and it was set to Data CD. I feel really dumb!! Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that's all it was.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
:eek: How embarassing! I just checked my settings and it was set to Data CD. I feel really dumb!! Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that's all it was.

Also...don't burn audio cds faster than 8x....many cd players will have trouble playing them. Besides, burning at 8x is fast enough for a 70minute disc (about 10 minutes to burn...not very long)...and more importantly, it's not a coaster! :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Also...don't burn audio cds faster than 8x....many cd players will have trouble playing them. Besides, burning at 8x is fast enough for a 70minute disc (about 10 minutes to burn...not very long)...and more importantly, it's not a coaster! :)
Personally, I burn them at the lowest setting and have had great results.

At 4x or faster I've had issues depending on the CD maker with older CD players like the one in the OPs 1991 Honda.

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
Personally, I burn them at the lowest setting and have had great results.

At 4x or faster I've had issues depending on the CD maker with older CD players like the one in the OPs 1991 Honda.

I see the settings are when the burning~I'm going to try it at the 4x speed and see how it works:)

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
settings

You find the settings in the lower right hand corner of iTunes where it says Burn Disk. When you click on that a pop up window appears where you can choose burn speed and what type of disk you want to burn, etc.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

No it is not dumb. My $99.95 Sony car stereo can play MP3 CDs. I burn them in iTunes and can fits about 6 albums on one CD and the album and track names show up on the little LCD panel. Not bad for $100.

So it's not dumb, worth a try really. Most modern CD/CVD plays will play MP3 data discs My new BluRay players will play MP3 discs burned by iTunes too

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
No it is not dumb. My $99.95 Sony car stereo can play MP3 CDs. I burn them in iTunes and can fits about 6 albums on one CD and the album and track names show up on the little LCD panel. Not bad for $100.

So it's not dumb, worth a try really. Most modern CD/CVD plays will play MP3 data discs My new BluRay players will play MP3 discs burned by iTunes too

While you're trying out things, you can try creating an MP3 DVD with 4 GB or 90 CDs worth of music. Many cheap DVD players will play them with no problems.

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
It worked! Burning at 4x enabled my old cd player to play them-I don't understand the science, but it sure sounds great in the car:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.