Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Have a look, on the US iTunes store there is a song called "Life would suck without..." by Kelly Clarkson. I don't know the full name because I can't be stuffed clicking on it. Dennis Leary also has something called "Why we Suck."

On both of these tracks the word "suck" is censored as "S**k" the same as "F**k" is on most things.

Only on the US store though, the Aussie store is there in all it's glory but then you can put "Bullsh*t" on the front page of our national papers uncensored so it's no big deal.

Any comments? Political correctness gone too far? I think so.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Why am I tempted to post

"Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!"

On the iTunes store on the Simpsons page :confused:

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Perhaps it's just apple being precautious because of the use of the word in the title of a song. And maybe there's a parent out there that sues apple for exposing their child to the word prematurely....

ya' never know....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Perhaps it's just apple being precautious because of the use of the word in the title of a song. And maybe there's a parent out there that sues apple for exposing their child to the word prematurely....

ya' never know....

Nope, even in the US where apparently it's never someone's own fault something happens, it's always the other person's and you should always sue them, the idea that the word "suck" is offensive is preposterous.

Next they'll be giving the asterix treatment to the words "job" and "hole" and "crevice" etc.

I just don't understand it but then we can show any Gordon Ramsey show uncensored as long as it starts after 9:30pm. I don't think you can do that in the Puritanical States of America.

OK, that was a bit harsh...

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Nope, even in the US where apparently it's never someone's own fault something happens, it's always the other person's and you should always sue them, the idea that the word "suck" is offensive is preposterous.

Next they'll be giving the asterix treatment to the words "job" and "hole" and "crevice" etc.

I just don't understand it but then we can show any Gordon Ramsey show uncensored as long as it starts after 9:30pm. I don't think you can do that in the Puritanical States of America.

OK, that was a bit harsh...

First of all, you stole my thunder on this since I posted on it last night. But I digress! :)

I found it odd that "Suck" was censored in Kelly Clarkson's song title while "Hell" wasn't in the All-American Rejects song that is No. 2 on the list. What the suck?

Yes, some sucky parent would probably sue, even though it's their responsibility what suck their kids can see. We can show war on the news, but don't let the kids hear a bad word!!!!! Also, I've never figured out what you can say "god" and "damn" but not those two back-to-back. Same goes with "ass" and "hole." What the suck?

Speaking of censorship, I can't stand these stupid edited versions of music videos. I would like to buy Fall Out Boy's "This Ain't A Scene, It's an Arms Race," but only the clean version is available. If some crappy rapper can sing about jazz or whatever in his pants, can we not get uncut music videos?

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Have a look, on the US iTunes store there is a song called "Life would suck without..." by Kelly Clarkson. I don't know the full name because I can't be stuffed clicking on it. Dennis Leary also has something called "Why we Suck."

On both of these tracks the word "suck" is censored as "S**k" the same as "F**k" is on most things.

Only on the US store though, the Aussie store is there in all it's glory but then you can put "Bullsh*t" on the front page of our national papers uncensored so it's no big deal.

Any comments? Political correctness gone too far? I think so.

Really? I'd have thought Australia was far more draconian in it's censorship given the amount of games that are banned/toned down and the recent trials for a national net filter.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
And maybe there's a parent out there that sues apple for exposing their child to the word prematurely....

Ironic, considering that "sucking" is one of the first things a child does.

but then you can put "Bullsh*t" on the front page of our national papers .

Sadly, I find that true for American newspapers as well; most of what is put on the front page is "Bullsh*t".

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I first noticed that probably about a year ago - there's a South Park episode named "Summer Sucks", with it changed to "s***s". I figured they were just going with "better safe than sorry" because it was South Park, but if they censor "sucks" everywhere else, and "hell" isn't censored (though I'm fine with that), then there's definitely something sucky going on.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Maybe it's a 'database glitch' like iTunes UK had a couple of months ago:
Gizmodo said:
Thanks to a f*****g stupid error, the iTunes Music Store in the UK has accidentally censored thousands of songs, albums, and artists' names. Innocent songs—like Danny Kaye's "I Thought I Saw A P***y Cat"—and not-so-innocent ones—like Nirvana's "Smells Like T**n Spirit"—have been asterisked by what an Apple spokeswoman has described as a "database glitch". Why "teen", "hot" or "Johnny" can be considered offensive, I really don't have a flying f**k, but things look rather silly in there:
censorship-stupidness.jpg

Yeah, definitely looks ****ed up to me. Oops.

According to Apple UK, the problem happened when they tried to censor potentially offensive words, and here is precisely where I get lost, because they were looking for "teen", "hot" or "Johnny". Hello? I understand a database glitch leading to innocent songs to be censored, but that word selection? For sure, the dick and the dyke in "D**k Van D**e" can be considered offensive by some, but the Johnny in "J****y Cash" or the hot in Avril Lavigne's "H*t"?

Seems to me like a level of idiotic politically correct censorship that not even the FCC will apply here in the United States. [BBC News]

paulej69

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
Really? I'd have thought Australia was far more draconian in it's censorship given the amount of games that are banned/toned down and the recent trials for a national net filter.

No, Australia is pretty free and easy when it comes to showing boobs and swearwords on TV (after a certain hour).

The videogame debacle is due to ONE state Attorney-General (looking at you, South Australia) who refuses to allow an 18+ (R) classification for games - the law requires agreement of all state attorneys-general before classifications can be changed. Sucks.

As for the net filter - it won't happen - there has already been a massive backlash against it, with very little public support for what will block an unspecified number of unspecified websites - no one here trusts the government to decide what we should and shouldn't see.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Ironic, considering that "sucking" is one of the first things a child does.

Ironic indeed, as people s**king leads to children sometimes.

But, again, it's all about use. Like the episode of Southpark, where S**t is made uncensored.

I stepped in s**t: :D

Mike's a piece of s**t: :(

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
For those who care, it's no longer censored on the iTunes store. I guess Apple sucked it up and unbleeped the song title. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.