Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpres75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I have no idea how it happened but I got an iPod and its not even a month old and today I discovered a scratch. It's barely there and its more of an annoyance then anything.
Basically its about an inch long, not deep at all (when you run your finger across the screen you don't feel it).
Any ideas what can be used to fix this?
I have heard toothpaste works (will it work on the touch), or various cleaners but I don't want to use something to damage the screen anymore. Everything I see does not mention the iPod touch screen, only the regular iPod screens.
I even thought about going to an eye glass place to see what they can do, but as I said...I don't want to damage anything.
Any help would be great.

Elppa14

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
my god i know how you feel! i have a really ugly scratch on my touch and i hate it! but, just try to take care of it from now on and get a good case that protects the screen. maybe like a flip case. glass, once it is scratched is almost impossible to repair. so my advice to you is, if it isn't that bad, just ignore it. BTW, toothpaste doesn't work. :cool:

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
If it's not totally obvious, and does not impair function, I'd just leave it.

You probably run the risk of further damage if you use chemicals. Just consider that your device has been given it's first battle scar, probably the first of many! ;) Learn to not get hung up on small cosmetic blemishes, and you'll be a much happier person in general.

For the record, I THINK regular iPods (not sure about the latest gen) have plastic screens, so are much more prone to scratching.

I have the same hang ups, really, but only when devices are very new - after a while, when I get very comfortable with them, I don;t worry as much. It's not like I throw them around, but small scratches and things are inevitable.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
So, even if you have some scratches on the touch screen, can you still use iPod Touch without any issues? I have a Palm TX and after 1 year of use (even with the screen protector), the screen gets worn out and some parts of the screen does not register the input from stylus.
I am wondering how durable the iPod Touch's screen is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.