Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheThe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Hi, I'm new here.

I recently got my macbok pro repaired by Apple and they were nice enough to erase my entire mac. Luckily I had backed up everything... except my address book contacts. I still have them in my iPhone 3G but now it won't sync unless I erase it first because it thinks my Mac is another mac. Is there anyway to get all the contacts out of the iphone without erasing it first?

DPA

macrumors 65816
WTF!!! THEY ERASED EVERYTHING!!!???

Well, glad to hear you had everything backed up! It must of been some kind of hard drive issue.:rolleyes:

Connect to iTunes. A message should pop up saying there are contacts on this iPhone that are not on this Mac or something like that. It should ask you if you want to delete the contacts or transfer them to your Mac. Click transfer them and another message will pop up saying sync X contacts. The contacts will then be in Address Book and your all good!

David

iamjiere

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
WTF!!! THEY ERASED EVERYTHING!!!???

Well, glad to hear you had everything backed up! It must of been some kind of hard drive issue.:rolleyes:

Connect to iTunes. A message should pop up saying there are contacts on this iPhone that are not on this Mac or something like that. It should ask you if you want to delete the contacts or transfer them to your Mac. Click transfer them and another message will pop up saying sync X contacts. The contacts will then be in Address Book and your all good!

David

Hi David,

I bought macbookpro yesterday and I plugged my iphone to it hopeing to sync contacts from my iphone to my new mac address book. But Itunes never been launched when connected them. And when I turn itunes on by myself it shows nothing about syncing or importing address book from iphone at all.. do you have any idea of how to fix this? Thank you in advance :)

PriestSLC

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
How to sync contacts from iPhone to Mac

Ok this is a pretty simple process.

First after opening iTunes and going through the song and dance of it locating your device, go to the info tab and locate the "Contacts" section, you should see it once you select the tab.

Put a check in the box that says Sync Address Book contacts, now when you hit apply it will sync all contacts between your Mac and your device.

Nice enough you can also sync your yahoo address book as well as Google contacts (Good for those of us that were dumb enough to get a G1)

I hope that helps you out.

PriestSLC

kapersang

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
You should set your iphone on itunes manual management, which lets you drag and drop what you want onto your iphone without syncing.
do as the following: Connect your iphone to macbook and launch itunes--> find iphone under the "Devices" category in the left panel--> check the "Summary" tab on the right--> click "Manually Manage" --> "Apply". Well if you don’t wanna go through the troubles just get a iphone to mac transfer to do all the backup thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.