Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
11icwgg.png

(iPhone Mini pictured above)

I've been thinking of getting one of these. I know its not a real iphone, I just like the size and full screen. China is pumping out a TON of cell phones. Anyone try any of these generic phones. I have t-mobile, and its a 1900mhz phone, so it should be no problem. Looks like they run Windows Mobile. Even though its not an iPhone there are tons of Windows Mobile apps out there. Not the best OS, but I can deal with that.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or anyone have one?

---------------------------------

Awang A688
$105
http://www.solomobi.com/viewproduct.asp?pro_id=2296

3 pages of iPhone copies. Some are even brass enough to put the apple logo on it. LOL.
Page 1 of 3
http://www.solomobi.com/category.asp?lx=cate2&cate_id=106

More Here:
http://www.actfind.com/products/who...ng-Control-Function-Tri-band-Dual-Cards.html#
http://www.actfind.com/products/wholesale-PDA-Mobile-Phone-OEM-Unlocked-GSM-Cell-Phone-1GB.html
http://sunstar-shop.com/productshow.asp?id=498

Videos in use (various models)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIE7r6WDS_0&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI3Zs62K8EI&feature=channel

Snakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
If china can make a iPhone mini, why cant apple? With a highres screen the screen can be smaller and still be the same resolution so the apps and os would not need to be rewritten.

2qk4byo.png

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
As much as the iPhone nano crap has boiled my blood I would actually be open to getting one of these as a backup phone. Think it would be kinda cool to see people's reaction when they had their regular iPhone and you whipped this thing out.

I still stand by my opinion that it's a moronic thing for Apple to even consider.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
A lot of those make me lol and wonder how they would play out with someone using them and in the wild.
I'm also curious as to if a company has been able to put the iPhone OS on a knock off iPhone mini or regular knock off iPhone.

If china can make a iPhone mini, why cant apple? With a highres screen the screen can be smaller and still be the same resolution so the apps and os would not need to be rewritten.

2qk4byo.png

Because Apple said so.:p

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain

2qk4byo.png
Because it would suck.

If Apple produced an iPhone Nano they would do it ala the Macbook Air, ie. keep the same size screen but make it thin and light.

kdarling

macrumors P6
FWIW, they don't appear to be Windows CE or Mobile based. Although once in a while you'll hear one of these use the WM startup song, just because they like it. Weird.

Re: Apple saying "no". Their public statements aren't worth diddly. We all know they like to keep secrets, so we never know for sure what's real and what's not. No, I don't think they're doing a nano, either, but who knows?

I'm actually surprised that Apple hasn't jumped into the home phone segment (again). Verizon's new Hub home voip touchscreen phone with widgets looks pretty darned cool.

Snakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
FWIW, they don't appear to be Windows CE or Mobile based.

You sure? Looks like Windows Mobile to me. (wink)

mvqlnr.png

29fq6q.png

There are many add-ons to make Windows Mobile work just like an iPhone look and feel. Seems like they just load Windows Mobile, the iPhone look and a few other hacks like the slide to unlock. Its not complicated or magic. These tools are already out there.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
As much as the iPhone nano crap has boiled my blood I would actually be open to getting one of these as a backup phone. Think it would be kinda cool to see people's reaction when they had their regular iPhone and you whipped this thing out.

I still stand by my opinion that it's a moronic thing for Apple to even consider.

Yea, people's reaction would be krayzie. Then you could tell them that you are beta testing it for apple you are not allowed to show them...

You will drive some people nuts. I like to do things like that because you know that they are going home and telling their friends, it is the trick that keeps on giving...

kdarling

macrumors P6
You sure? Looks like Windows Mobile to me. (wink)

The reason why I say the ones I saw above are not WM, is because the statusbar at the top doesn't look right. It's very common for Chinese clones to pretend to have WM.

Can you post a link so I can look at the particular devices you showed? Thanks!

There are many add-ons to make Windows Mobile work just like an iPhone look and feel. Seems like they just load Windows Mobile, the iPhone look and a few other hacks like the slide to unlock. Its not complicated or magic. These tools are already out there.

Believe me, I know. When I'm not making custom apps for my grownup kids' iPhones, I'm having fun making them jealous with the cool Today screens and fancy menus on my WinMo i760... including one of those slide-to-unlock screens with an animated background.

:)

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Because it goes against the definition of the iPhone business plan and they specifically stated that they wouldn't be making one? :confused:

Just like they said about the other Apple products before it came out? It wouldn't really go against it, it's just his thought and apparently everyone loves those mini fake iPhones

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
Just like they said about the other Apple products before it came out? It wouldn't really go against it, it's just his thought and apparently everyone loves those mini fake iPhones

I have a friend who bought one of these little knock-offs and he loves it. Given what he said about it and how small it is (compared with the Apple brick) I'll be getting one at some point this week. These detractors are wrong about pretty much everything else, why bother listening now?

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
I have played with one here in singapore and while they are really cute the actual interface is a nightmare. It's not even up to a standard phone. I would have got one just for the novelty as you can make calls with it and play terrible sounding music but the sms'ing is pretty much to impossible. That said you need a stylus to use one and I didn't have one. The keyboard is tiny.

Snakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Can you get your friend to write up how he likes it, what service, some photos, does it have a web browser, etc. Just a day in the life of him using it.

Thanks.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Well I know the phones are "legitimate" fakes. They do exist. I don't know if the stores are real.

Apparently I wasn't very clear. I was pointing out the irony of asking if the stores were legit when they sell knock-offs, which are not legitimate.

Snakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
This one even has the apple logo and they copied the packaging. The Chinese are too funny.

5evfid.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.