Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnTrack Studios

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
On my iMac G4 17" 800mhz I currently have a USB adapter for connecting to my wifi network. It works fine but it would be nice to have the extra USB port for my iSub, the other is connected to a printer. The USB adapter is 54mb/sec but the port is USB 1.0 so it's only 12mb/sec anyway. I know the airport cards are 802.11b but I'm guessing the speed would be the same, or pretty similar. Just seeing what you guys thought. Also, everytime I restart, I have to disconnect from my neighbor's router and connect to mine. Not that big of a deal but I might as well minimize any inconveniences. Should I stick with what I have? or shell out the $35 or so for an airport card from ebay? Thanks!

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
One other alternative is to grab a USB hub - that would give you an few extra spots for the iSub, etc. and be less than the cost of the AP card.

BenEndeem

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
England
My G4 originally had a USB adapter, a so called mid-range one and it was a nightmare. The fact it took up a USB port made it worse. Eventually I managed to get an Airport card fairly cheap on eBay when the seller chose a bad time end the item (Sunday at 7:30AM anyone?). It was a drastic improvement and I'd highly recommend an Airport card from personal experience.

OnTrack Studios

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
My G4 originally had a USB adapter, a so called mid-range one and it was a nightmare. The fact it took up a USB port made it worse. Eventually I managed to get an Airport card fairly cheap on eBay when the seller chose a bad time end the item (Sunday at 7:30AM anyone?). It was a drastic improvement and I'd highly recommend an Airport card from personal experience.

lol damn you! I just passed up a buy it now/free shipping for $29.00, with instructions (not sure if they're official from apple). Guess I'll grab one. I prefer to minimize as many cables and clutter as possible. Is the installation easy enough? I have yet to open up the iMac, or any mac for that matter other than my Power Mac G3.

BenEndeem

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
England
1. Place the G4 face down on a surface, making sure the screen is protected.
2. Unscrew all of the screws on the metallic base.
3. Slip the Airport card into slot and connect the wire.
4. Replace the base and screw it back together.
5. One wireless ready G4 ready for use.

Hope that is good enough, if not their are always the guides on the Apple site to look at.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I would certainly recommend the airport card. Though the reception of the built in antenna is no where as good as my iMac G3, the convenience alone of being able to use built in Airport tools into OSX is reason enough for me.

Make sure to uninstall any strange drivers the USB stick came with before installing the Airport card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.