Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
How long before it happens?

Current smartphones can't even handle GameBoy Advance, so this thing will need some pretty good internals.

Also, it would be nice to see an ecosystem of game developers for the iPhone emerge: innovative apps taking advantage of the iPhone's interface, possibly even free.

I can see adventure games and sims like Viva Pinata doing very well on the iPhone. No doubt ScummVM will be iPhone compatible within 24 hours of it's release - which is, unfortunately, not for a horrendously long time.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Even with the multi-touch screen I can't imagine this ever working. It would be next to impossible to use.

Are there even any NDS emulators for OS X? Are there even any good NDS emulators?

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Hang on, you realise that the DS input is touch screen right?

And the iPhone is touch screen.

See the connection there?

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
yeah they are both touch screen but it would make both DS screens draw on the screen pretty small...not to mention the emulator would have to have an interface built on the screen since since the iPhone only has 1 button.
so you have 2 screens plus a dpad and buttons drawn on the screen. i just dont think it would be that playable. powerwise...it MIGHT be strong enough.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Never.

There isn't even a good DS emulator for the Mac/PC.
Lack of buttons.
Lack of screen space.

Just because it has a touchscreen doesn't make it possible to emulate a DS. Maybe the next iPhone? Who knows.

KFCTR

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
I've seen PSX being emulated on a touch,
do you think a Nintendo 64 would work?

KFCTR

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
Your probably right,
I really wish there were support for a bluetooth gamepad for the iPhone.
Too bad iPod Touch doesn't have bluetooth.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I would love to see a DS emulator, even though it would only play Touchscreen only games like WarioWare or Elite Beat Agents. Anything else would be impossible.

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
gotta love emulators on an iphone... i'd take a DS on mine.. some sweet games to play while roaming and in airports. beats carrying a DS around..

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
There are 3 emulators for the iPhone that I'm aware so far:
-NES (very good)
-GameBoy Advance (not so good)
-PSX one (I haven't try it yet)

Check here for installation instructions:
http://www.hackthatphone.com
http://www.zodtt.com

You are right the experience using the touch screen controller isn't enjoyable to play arcade games, some people managed to use a template over the screen to improve the feeling of the buttons, but it's unpractical.

After Apple releases the SDK, I would love to see a gamepad controller that you can connect to the dock connector, so you can use it to play with the emulators + native iPhone games, and why not, that also has enough memory to store all your games.
________
Lexus Cup

Last edited:

KFCTR

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
There are 3 emulators for the iPhone that I'm aware so far:
-NES (very good)
-GameBoy Advance (not so good)
-PSX one (I haven't try it yet)

Check here for installation instructions:
http://www.hackthatphone.com
http://www.zodtt.com

You are right the experience using the touch screen controller isn't enjoyable to play arcade games, some people managed to use a template over the screen to improve the feeling of the buttons, but it's unpractical.

After Apple releases the SDK, I would love to see a gamepad controller that you can connect to the dock connector, so you can use it to play with the emulators + native iPhone games, and why not, that also has enough memory to store all your games.

I never thought of a gamepad that could connect through the dock, its a nice idea! I can't wait to get a my Touch.

preetyforu

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
I really want to play New Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo DS. Problem is, I'm on a mac and I can't find any DS emulators for OSX.

I'm on an iBook G4 so running games through Virtual PC is a bit of a stretch but if it's my only option I might have to give it a try.

TiToPod

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
yeah they are both touch screen but it would make both DS screens draw on the screen pretty small...not to mention the emulator would have to have an interface built on the screen since since the iPhone only has 1 button.
so you have 2 screens plus a dpad and buttons drawn on the screen. i just dont think it would be that playable. powerwise...it MIGHT be strong enough.

Everyone thinks the button pads would be impossible? thats insane, to prove what im saying i made a quick thing:
betadsoniphonehu5.png

i know there isnt any good DS emu for os x, i understand that but the buttons can work, it would be great if someone did make a DS emu for iphone :p

narumara

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
it would not be impossible, but you are right it would be hard, one way to aliviate room issues is:
  • translucent buttons
  • tilt controls for 'L" and "R' buttons
  • start and select buttons up at the top (because they aren't used too often
  • all emulator buttons at the top
all im saying is it is possible

Friendlyuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
there are already extra hardware attachments developed that resemble the gameboy advanced console. they fit right on to the iphone and provide d-pad A B buttons etc... just a note. im not sure if they're for sale or for what games they would be compatible with. i think i saw demos of moto racer etc.

jtotheb123

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
it wont happen for a long time if ever

yes the buttons/screen setup will work the only problem is the iphone cant run ds games. there is a rumor that the updated iphone will have quad processors in it witch will help but even tho i still dought it. and you need to also remember there's 1.no ds emu for mac os yet and 2 the ds emus for windows dont even work that grate so think of how crappy the iphone would run it:apple::apple::apple:

boonlar

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Emulated screen buttons on the iphone are terrible. I would just wait for the iControlpad to get finished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.