Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
After not using xcode for a while, I open it up and create a new obj-c project. After I open it, Xcode freezes and I have to force quit it. Does anybody have any suggestions how to make this stop

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I've tried rebooting and it still happens, and I've got enough HD space cause I have about 42 gbs free and I have 2.5 gbs of ram

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Is it cause I downloaded Xcode 3.1 but stopped it before it could actually install anything, I stopped where you choose the destination to install it in

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Sounds like you borked something. Get 3.0 off the Leopard disc and install it again.

Xcode 3.1 really sucks, I don't use it for a number of reasons (projects become mildly incompatible with 3.0, there are tons of bugs in 3.1 still).

Unless you want to do iPhone dev, you don't need 3.1.

I program for a living thus I need Xcode to *work* consistently and not require handholding to build projects on a semi-daily basis. And I don't do iPhone dev (yet) so I stick with what works.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I tried that but it still do anything, this is really stumping, cause I wanna program

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Are you sure it's freezing, or just stalling? Let it go for a minute or two and see if it recovers. I have a certain project that Xcode beach balls on me for a few seconds when I open it, but it eventually goes away. If it still doesn't go away, open Activity Monitor, click on Xcode and then Sample Process in the toolbar and attach the file here. That might give some hints to what it's doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.