Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
OK. I went into istore on my 3g iPhone and bought a ringtone. It is not in the ringtones and after searching google for about an hour NOTHING explains what I have to do to put it on. Even looking in the help file told me to do stuff in iTunes 8 that was not there! (eg select 'ringtones' in the view-options.. there IS NO ringtone you can add...selecting convert to ringtone in the store... also not there).

Before I smash my iphone and laptop in frustration PLEASE can someone tell me what I need to do to use the ringtone I purchased as... a ringtone and not as a bloody song in itunes!!!!!

many thanks

Robsa

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
OK. I went into istore on my 3g iPhone and bought a ringtone. It is not in the ringtones and after searching google for about an hour NOTHING explains what I have to do to put it on. Even looking in the help file told me to do stuff in iTunes 8 that was not there! (eg select 'ringtones' in the view-options.. there IS NO ringtone you can add...selecting convert to ringtone in the store... also not there).

Before I smash my iphone and laptop in frustration PLEASE can someone tell me what I need to do to use the ringtone I purchased as... a ringtone and not as a bloody song in itunes!!!!!

many thanks

Robsa

Ringtones must be purchased on your computer so that you can set the start and endpoints of the section of the song you want to use. You cannot buy ringtones on the phone itself.

You can create custom ringtones from unprotected music files or loops in garage band.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland

many thanks

Robsa

First off, there is no iStore, it's iTunes Store. Secondly you can't buy ringtones from your iPhone.

So you bought a song from iTunes and then bought and edited the ringtone.
You don't know where it is right? It's in the Ringtone section of the LIBRARY bar in iTunes. To get it on your iPhone, plug your iPhone in and select the Ringtones tab. Select the ringtones you want to sync and click Apply. Your ringtone is now on your iPhone.

Ams.

Robsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Ringtones must be purchased on your computer so that you can set the start and endpoints of the section of the song you want to use. You cannot buy ringtones on the phone itself.

You can create custom ringtones from unprotected music files or loops in garage band.

OK, my mistake... obviously buying a music clip called 'ringtone - blah blah' led me to believe it was a ringtone.

OK so I have bought the track (A short ringtone) how d I make it a ringtone? There is no view->options->ringtone to check.

HELP!

Robsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
So you bought a song from iTunes and then bought and edited the ringtone.
Ams.

Nope, I bought the music file but cannot edit it to make it a ringtone. There is NO ringtone options in my itunes (ver 8.0.220) either in the store or as a view option. All there is is iMix.

Am I missing something? I have a ringtones folder I can see. But nothing else

Robsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
OK. Here's why - I am in the UK and this is US only! Only took me 3 hurs of searching the internet to find this out!

Cheers Apple... next time put it in the instructions will ya?

rednano74

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Dover, DE
You can use iringer software to create ringtones from any unprotected/non apple purchased song you have on your pc. It's simple, quick and all FREE! :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
If it's unprotected you can throw it into garageband and export it as a ringtone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.