Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bethany-Wings

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
It never did this with Netscape or Firefox, and from what I've heard, it doesn't do it with my friend, who uses Safari all the time. I have Safari set up so it automatically fills in forms AND accepts cookies from any site, and it STILL logs me out suddenly in about a minute. How can I keep myself logged in all the time, like it's SUPPOSED to? Help!?

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
It never did this with Netscape or Firefox, and from what I've heard, it doesn't do it with my friend, who uses Safari all the time. I have Safari set up so it automatically fills in forms AND accepts cookies from any site, and it STILL logs me out suddenly in about a minute. How can I keep myself logged in all the time, like it's SUPPOSED to? Help!?

what version of safari are you using?

i used to get the same problem but for a few months now its been fine.. i'm all updated to the safari v3.2.1 and no problems here..

have you tried clearing your cache/cookies and starting again?

Bethany-Wings

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Surprisingly, I'm using Safari 3.2.1. Also, I tried all that you told me to do, and it STILL won't keep me logged in. I even tried to restart Safari with all the changes, and nothing. Why is this not working for me? Why is it just Facebook? And...also, I'm even selecting the option of "remember me" just before I log in. :(

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
I get this, except if I'm active I'm OK but then if like in 15 minutes I come back to it, it will ask me to login again even though I clicked 'Remember Me'. Bebo doesn't have any problems with the remember me function so I don't know what the problem is.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Try resetting Safari (clear everything, cookies etc).

Although Facebook is really quite buggy. When I log in, I have to log in twice because the first time it says my password or email is incorrect (even though its an autofill). I have to just press enter and then it logs me in.

Seen other various glitches in Facebook, especially the home page.

kipsterdude

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
I was having this problem as well, and seem to have hopefully resolved it, at least for the time being. I followed the procedure they presented when there were sync issues with safari bookmarks and .Mac (at the time)

Resolution

1. Quit Safari 3.2.1

2. Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities).

3. Type or paste the following command in Terminal:
defaults delete com.apple.safari RegisteredSafariSyncClient

4. Open Safari 3.1 again.

EDIT
I spoke too soon. After more googling, it seems that there are login issues if you're also using 3rd party applications like Adium to connect to facebook chat, which I have also confirmed. If you cease connecting to facebook through Adium, the problem should cease.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I was having this problem as well, and seem to have hopefully resolved it, at least for the time being. I followed the procedure they presented when there were sync issues with safari bookmarks and .Mac (at the time)

Resolution

1. Quit Safari 3.2.1

2. Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities).

3. Type or paste the following command in Terminal:
defaults delete com.apple.safari RegisteredSafariSyncClient

4. Open Safari 3.1 again.

EDIT
I spoke too soon. After more googling, it seems that there are login issues if you're also using 3rd party applications like Adium to connect to facebook chat, which I have also confirmed. If you cease connecting to facebook through Adium, the problem should cease

I had the problem of Safari logging me out all the time too; until recently I reinstalled Safari, and it stopped.

I also use Adium lol. :D

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
I've done the update to 10.5.6, and my Safari still says it's Safari 3.2, and Software update doesn't give me an option to download 3.2.1. :confused:

wakanomori

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2008
same problem -- big safari bug?

using OSX 10.5.6 and Safari 3.2.1 I found the browser was more or less randomly deleting and reviving cookies. So I'd be logged out of sites while on them, and then suddenly logged back in when I'd logged out. Very creepy. I reinstalled Safari, but same problem. Now I'm using Firefox, reluctantly, and investigating Camino. This Safari is just NOT SAFE.

tiny-e

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
It's Adium. I've been going through the same thing. When Safari and Adium are running at the same time, one logs the other out of Facebook. You can hear Aduim disconnect and then re-connect when you browse to Facebook in Safari.

bmonzing

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Adium Says:

Facebook logs out when Adium is signed in

• status changed from new to closed.
• resolution set to wontfix.
• component changed from Adium Core to Facebook Chat.

I don't think this is the fault of Adium, but rather how Facebook handles sessions. That said, it should resolve itself when Facebook rolls out a supported way to hook into its chat -- hopefully soon.

http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/11355

pendolino

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
using OSX 10.5.6 and Safari 3.2.1 I found the browser was more or less randomly deleting and reviving cookies. So I'd be logged out of sites while on them, and then suddenly logged back in when I'd logged out. Very creepy. I reinstalled Safari, but same problem. Now I'm using Firefox, reluctantly, and investigating Camino. This Safari is just NOT SAFE.

I am having the same problem after updating to OSX 10.5.6. I am not sure what broke but facebook specifically logs me out within seconds of login. Its quite a pain.

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
The same thing was happening to me, then I realized it was because I had adium running facebook messenger. When I closed out of adium it worked great... If you guys are running adium with facebook messenger thats probably it

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
cookies deleting themselves?

I have been experiencing a similar problem, but it's not limited to just Facebook. I have the latest OSX and the latest Safari. I know how to reset Safari and I have attempted this. I frequent a number of websites where I have to login and I have the website remember who I am so I don't to type in my username and password everytime. I'm pretty sure this is accomplished via a cookie. So, I find it odd when all by itself it's as if Safari has cleared out the cookies cause all of my regular websites have forgotten who I am. I know this will happen whenever I reset, so with it occurs when I didn't ask for it, I find it rather odd. I would estimate that this has been happening in past couple of months. Previously I hadn't had such problems.

What should I do - get virus protection software and see if I've been infected with something?

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I concur with everyone who said it was Adium-happened to me for a while until i realized that I need to disable facebook chat in adium. I really dont think that the problem is with cookies or anything like that

To paulold-

make sure that you do not have Private Browsing enabled. Also, have you tried this in firefox?

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I am having the same problem after updating to OSX 10.5.6. I am not sure what broke but facebook specifically logs me out within seconds of login. Its quite a pain.

In case anyone is still having problems, I just figured it out yesterday. Macfixit reports the solution is disable webclip widgets and remake them. It should fix the cookie problem - it did for me.

pendolino

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
In case anyone is still having problems, I just figured it out yesterday. Macfixit reports the solution is disable webclip widgets and remake them. It should fix the cookie problem - it did for me.

interesting. i assume you are referring to the Safari Dashboard widgets.

Middling

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
interesting. i assume you are referring to the Safari Dashboard widgets.

I think it's just ones you make yourself using the webclip facility in Safari.

I had a mixture of webclips and standard widgets in my Dashboard and would keep getting logged out of various websites (not Facebook, since i don't use it). After deleting the webclips but leaving the standard widgets i no longer get logged out.

10.5.6 definitely broke something in the way that cookies are handled.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I did not have private browsing turned on, but I do have a webclip widget. Come to think of it, I rarely use my widgets but lately I have been accidently hitting the F12 key, which opens my dashboard. I think it's definitely worth a try to delete the widget. The frequency of my problem seems to correspond with the number of times I've hit that key.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
This is driving me mad.

I have had to delete all my webclip widgets because they cause me to become logged out of all forums.

I've tried resetting Safari, but it makes no difference.

No webclips = everything works fine
Webclips = can't stay logged into forums

This is an obvious 10.5.6 bug.

littlemcbeast

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I have this problem, and I don't have Adium or Dashboard widgets...

I never should have installed 10.5.6. This is just one out of a ridiculous amount of problems I've been having lately. It's like the Plagues of Egypt hitting my Mac over and over and over...

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Just an update - I deleted my webclip (that was of the headlines of cnn.com) and haven't had a problem with my cookies since. So if that did the trick, thanks for helping me out!

dronkert

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
Same problem here (OSX 10.5.6 Safari 3.2.1). It happens on Facebook and Flickr for me. I do not use Adium, webclips or any other non-standard dashboard widgets. Tried resetting Safari, didn't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.