Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryeveryday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Philly
I updated my Iphone last night to the 2.2.1. it was working fine until today. I could not get Safari to connect to any websites. It kept telling me that Safari cannot cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet. When I connect to my Wifi at home, safari works. But I'm at work and there is no wifi. I tried all the restarting/rebooting, Airplane mode, resetting. Any advice or Tips?

DPA

macrumors 65816
I know you mentioned you tried some of these things but it doesn't hurt to try again:

Reboot:
1) Turn on iPhone.
2) Hold Sleep/Wake button (top right) until a red slider appears and says Slide to Power Off.
3) Slide the red slider.
4) Once the chasing lines are gone and the screen is black, hold the Sleep/Wake button for about 2 seconds. Your iPhone is now rebooting.

Hard Reset:
1) Power iPhone on.
2) Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for about 7 seconds, or until the screen turns black.
3) Your iPhone should reboot. If it doesn't don't worry, just hold the Sleep/Wake button for about 2 seconds.

Restore:
1) Connect to iTunes.
2) Allow your iPhone to back up and finish the sync.
3) In the Summary tab, click the Restore button.
4) Click Restore and Update to the confirmation message that appears.
5) Follow on-screen instructions from there on.

David

jerryeveryday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Philly
Thanks for the tips but I've tried all of them. I can't connect to the iTunes app as well. I checked the Apple forums and it seems like I'm not the only one.

jtatum

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
I've been seeing network problems connecting to certain sites all day today and it seems I'm not the only one. Of course, no word from AT&T anywhere I can find:

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=12235206

Posts reporting issues on AT&T's forum:
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/...thread.id=12243
and
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/...thread.id=68125

Edit: Incidentally, I checked the macrumors page first to see news about the outage, but found none. I'm a little surprised honestly, as widespread as the outage seems to be...

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Yup. I just did the update too and am having this same problem. I thought it was just spotty AT&T coverage in my area but it looks like there is something wrong wih the firmware. On wifi right now and it works ok

jtatum

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
Just to clarify - it's not the firmware. I'm still running 2.2 and so is my friend. It's the network.

chetniktx

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
Jan 31 i did the 2.2.1 update, 3G worked alright. Today there is no internet be it 3G or edge. What ticks me off is that my friend's 1st gen iphone worked just fine today.

Kiedoy

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
I am having these same issues all day long. Just started today. Ive been getting it when i go on the internet or try to check mail or use any app that connects to the internet.

axforts

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
same issue

same issue here in NY, running 2.2.1. friend on 2.2.1 also has same issue. att unaware of any outages, guy on other end of att support call also has same issue in NJ on 2.2.1. his blackberry on edge/blackberry network works.

kenkenken

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2008
I'm having the same issues in Boston. AT&T says they don't know what I'm talking about and apple doesn't either.
Any ideas?

xrp123

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
same issue here

Everything was working fine this morning. Turned off phone to get on plane to Boston. Once I arrived and turned it back on, I have been having spotty 3G connection ever since (even though signal is full bars). :confused:

Wifi works well though. And I updated to 2.2.1 a few days ago and no issues at that time. Must be a network thing because it worked well in TX, not so well in MA.

axforts

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
worked before

David, it worked for all of us before. The infancy of 3g isnt the problem here. The fact is, ATT is having a problem with their network. I havent had a single issue until today.

Whether or not they know about it/telling us about it, remains to be seen. hopefully fixed tomorrow.

axforts

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
working again

last night around 1:30 am EST, 3g came back up here in NY. guess ATT had issues with 3g last night and wouldnt tell us, or it was just trafficked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.