Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I was wondering if there are softwares like visual basic for mac users? If so I would really like to get a copy of it for my work.... else not i don't know how to do my work to create a VB application form. And i don't wanna use PC to do it....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
VB is not on Mac. You'd need to install Windows on your Mac to run it, using Boot Camp, Parallels, VMWare, etc. (And I see VB can be run under WINE, so Darwine might be a Windows-free option at some point.)

Or you might consider RealBasic as an alternative route: it's very highly regarded, and is compatible with both Mac and Windows:

http://www.realbasic.com

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
If it runs under WINE, then it'll almost certainly run under Crossover. I'd send off an email to Code Weavers, who make Crossover, and ask them if VB runs on their software.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
cool replies guys... but just wondering how different is the use of real basic vs visual basic? apart from the different plattform anything else indifferent? friendly using etc?

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
just wondering how different is the use of real basic vs visual basic? apart from the different plattform anything else indifferent? friendly using etc?

I haven't used basic in a long time, but RealBasic is an excellent version. You will be able to create real cross-platform programs. This may help.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I agree with the others that you should look into RealBasic. I have actually downloaded the trial version and taken it for a spin (a short one). Real is too stingy with their trial period, especially for a development environment. I was only given a week, or maybe 10 days - do not recall exactly. Maybe that would be sufficient if a person was able to do a quick, dedicated, in-depth evaluation. However, I seldom have that luxury. To do a decent job of it, I would need closer to a month of daily 2-3 hour sessions. Your situation may be different.

I have read that Filemaker Professional has the ability to not only store data, but also build forms. I have not looked into this yet. If I understood the authors correctly, then FMP is positioning itself as an alternative to Access. It may be another source for you, especially if your VB app is data focused.

MstrPBK

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
St. Paul, MN
FileMaker Pro and Visual Basic ....

I am in the process of wanting to broadening my learning to VB, Java, and Visual C to attain my goal of producing a RPG game.

I have adequate experience with FM Pro and feel that is is a decent program and can by my experience handle at least medium (to large?) sized files (80 million records). FM pro's scripts are strongly BASIC language constructs (and semi-easy to learn).

My concern with FM Pro is that the Find Request interface is based on absolute values rather than computed values to find records. This can be programmed around by lengthy subroutines (time wise not code length) and adding a field to record a mark AND then do the find); and from my view I was thinking there must be another way to deal with this (somehow).

One of my interests in this discussion is how easily can FM Pro pass data back and forth from a VB type program. (suspects it is semi-easy if I learned). Is VB and/or Realbasic decent with graphics and managing them, polygons? I would think there would be other programs to handle animation and special effects but that is a different thread and topic.

leelee27

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
Problem with running my VB app in mac

Hi,
I have written my program in vb in windows. /now I have installed VB in my mac which has windows that i have installed by winwar. But I have a problem, my program has two errors:

Error 4 Could not write lines to file "obj\Debug\my software- jan19.vbproj.FileListAbsolute.txt". Access to the path 'C:\my software- jan19\my software- jan19\obj\Debug\my software- jan19.vbproj.FileListAbsolute.txt' is denied. my software- jan19

Error 2 Cannot write to the output file "C:\my software- jan19\my software- jan19\obj\Debug\my_software__jan19.nosulfide.resources". Access to the path 'C:\my software- jan19\my software- jan19\obj\Debug\my_software__jan19.nosulfide.resources' is denied. my software- jan19

can anyone help me with these errors?
regards,
Leelee

iconz113

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
New York
visual basic, real basic same? or different?

Im sorta new to this and just wanted to verify some information. So realbasic is the mac version of visual basic? I read on one of the posts that you can create cross platform using realbasic, but cant you do the same on windows visual basic, since its the same? or is it different? also what other compilers for any language are available on the mac platform? like I said im pretty new to all this so any information would be appreciated, thx!

MstrPBK

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
St. Paul, MN
Kinda fun to see me accidently return to this thread ...

To iconz113: Visual Basic and RealBasic are indeed two quite different programs; although they provide two similar forms of programming for the BASIC language.

To the general forum group: Infact I am currently pushing just that very question with a local technical college before I sign up for classes for my next round of education. While I use Macintosh ... the technical college is still stuck in Windows only mode, which I feel is VERY narrow thinking when it comes to program development in this millennium. I will see what happens and see if my question is ignored.

ON a divergent subject of this thread: ... if RealBasic is to Visual Basic what would be the corollary for Visual C in the Macintosh world?

MstrPBK
St. Paul, MN USA

bkap16

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
If it runs under WINE, then it'll almost certainly run under Crossover. I'd send off an email to Code Weavers, who make Crossover, and ask them if VB runs on their software.

If it runs on wine it better run on crossover. Crossover is just WINE with some extra hacks added. In fact, Crossover is responsible for a good portion of the wine development.

ul1984

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
Sweden
If you're talking about VB.net, and you're fine compiling from the command line I think you can compile and run that using Mono. Once you installed Mono, try "vbnc" in your terminal.

But I'm not sure about the status of their VB.net support, but C# seems to work just fine. A few months ago I made a simple winforms app on my mac, compiled using mono, and the .exe produced ran just fine even on my Windows machine, without recompilation.

sylvia100

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
installing visual basics and bootcamp..

If i install bootcamp onto my mac laptop would it slow the performance by alot?? I was going to purchase bootcamp at JB-HI5 and they told me it's not worth it because it would slow my laptop down, but i really need it to run a program called ecstat (which requires visual basics) however at the same time i wouldn't want my laptop's performance to be effected..

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
If i install bootcamp onto my mac laptop would it slow the performance by alot?? I was going to purchase bootcamp at JB-HI5 and they told me it's not worth it because it would slow my laptop down, but i really need it to run a program called ecstat (which requires visual basics) however at the same time i wouldn't want my laptop's performance to be effected..

The only full-time effect that installing windows via bootcamp is going to have is disk usage. This shouldn't slow things down much at all. Otherwise, if you are only rebooting your machine to get into windows, it won't affect the speed of the machine while in OS X at all. If you run windows in a virtual machine under OS X using VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop, etc. then yes, while the VM is running (but only while it's running) the machine will be slower because it's devoting CPU time and memory to running a second OS. To sum it up, the people that gave you that information don't know what their talking about, or misunderstood what boot camp does.

-Lee

sylvia100

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
The only full-time effect that installing windows via bootcamp is going to have is disk usage. This shouldn't slow things down much at all. Otherwise, if you are only rebooting your machine to get into windows, it won't affect the speed of the machine while in OS X at all. If you run windows in a virtual machine under OS X using VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop, etc. then yes, while the VM is running (but only while it's running) the machine will be slower because it's devoting CPU time and memory to running a second OS. To sum it up, the people that gave you that information don't know what their talking about, or misunderstood what boot camp does.

-Lee

Thanks alot for your detailed answer. There's real basic that does the same/similar job as visual basic and i was wondering if i could dl it for free and if it takes up alot of space on my comp compared to installing xp windows/bootcamp onto my comp .. I don't know what would be better, getting bootcamp or just real basic..

zippyfly

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Just to point out the obvious in case it isn't:

You do NOT have to buy bootcamp.

It is FREE.

It "comes" with the Mac.

And your Mac will not be "slowed" by it because the Mac is "just" a PC hardware device, and you can install any OS onto it. The OS will run as fast as your hardware. In fact, Windows runs pretty darn fast on Mac hardware.

You might have gotten confused by Parallels and/or Fusion, neither of which I recommend for your purposes of running a native Windows environment for programming, without extraneous cost or complexity.

VJBmacuser

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
Visual Basic for mac

I am taking college courses and am looking for Visual basic software for mac that i can use for class projects. What are my options.

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
As far as I know, Visual Basic has never been released for Mac. I don't think Office for Mac even has VBA. You will have to run Windows on a virtual machine if you want VB on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.