Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
say i want to select pictures 1-15 to put in a different folder.
i'd click pic1, hold shift, then click on pic15. that selects all the files in between as well. how do i go about doing this same thing in osx?

ive tried just about every combination of the shift, control, option, and apple key with clicking but nothing works.

thanks for helping. i seriously suck at this os haha:p

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
If I click on a file, then hold shift down, and click on another file it'll select both.
Same with the command (apple) key.

Are you sure thats not the TV remote?

peas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
hi and thanks for the quick reply.
it does the same for me as you described.
however, what i also want is the files in between the two i click on.

as in my example...i want pictures 1 through 15 without shift+clicking on each one.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
peas said:
hi and thanks for the quick reply.
it does the same for me as you described.
however, what i also want is the files in between the two i click on.

as in my example...i want pictures 1 through 15 without shift+clicking on each one.
I don't know.....
It's weird because some times that happens with me when I don't want it to select all the files in between.

You could just try dragging your cursor over the files you want to select.

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
If the files are all in order you can just drag the mouse around them and it will select every thing with in the square! Don't know if that helps. Not exactly what you wanted to do.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Shift + click the first and last files you want. It will select the ones in between.

Command (Apple) + Clicking the files you want will 'multiple select' individual files. So you could select 1, 7, 12 and 15 for example.

Teriyaki Boy

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Shift + click the first and last files you want. It will select the ones in between.

Command (Apple) + Clicking the files you want will 'multiple select' individual files. So you could select 1, 7, 12 and 15 for example.

Wow, this thread is almost 3 years old, but I'm stuck with the same problem right now.

I have tried to select all the files in between by holding the Shift key + clicking the first and last files, but it doesn't select the files in between them....

Help anyone?:(

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Wow, this thread is almost 3 years old, but I'm stuck with the same problem right now.

I have tried to select all the files in between by holding the Shift key + clicking the first and last files, but it doesn't select the files in between them....

You're in icon view, aren't you?

OS X doesn't see files in icon view as consecutive, so that method will not work, you have to select them all with the mouse holding either CMD or Shift.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Drag over all the files.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There's no need to Shift-click the first file. Simply click the first file, hold down the Shift, and click the last file. It selects both files and everything in between.

Teriyaki Boy

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
You're in icon view, aren't you?

OS X doesn't see files in icon view as consecutive, so that method will not work, you have to select them all with the mouse holding either CMD or Shift.

Hey thanks for the help guys! It turns out r.j.s is right. I was in the icon view mode, so I couldn't select consecutive files by holding down the shift key.

I have tested in other view modes such as list and columns view modes and they both work fine!

I guess OS X is not the same as Windows in the icon view aspect....:(

I want to select consecutive photos without having to use my mouse dragging them under the icon view mode (because I can only select them in 2x2, 2x3, 3x4, etc. manners and I don't want that). I guess there's just no other way is there......?

Any help would be deeply appreciated!

Reactions: LillaK

scott54

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
yes its another pain in the a$$ problem with the mac os that mac lovers refuse to admit ..yes there are ways around it, but why does there have to be a "way around it" ..why doesn't it "just work"! I have used mac and PC for years and if it were not for the virus issues on a PC I would get rid of my mac.

shippouk

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
oh my god! This is mental!
You can't do the SHIFT CLICK first SHIFT CLICK last on Thumbnails.

I don't know why people go on soooo much about Mac being better than PC's, when they lack these basics.
Its things like this that really make me wonder why I've just moved to Mac.

Do Apple ever update missing things like this?

Regards
Shippo

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

I don't know why people go on soooo much about Mac being better than PC's, when they lack these basics.

What? Works fine for me.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 226,894

shippouk

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
I mean like this

attachment.php

are the functions NOT useable in all modes?

Also, does anyone know how to rename multiple files at the same time in a similar manner? (on a pc it used to be click first image, hold down shift, click last image, right mouse click RENAME) cant find this function on a mac.

Thanks
Shippo

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-12 at 13.48.02.png
    Screen shot 2010-05-12 at 13.48.02.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 168,877

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I mean like this

attachment.php

Just make a highlight box around the files you want by clicking and dragging.

More like they're not defined in certain modes.

Also, does anyone know how to rename multiple files at the same time in a similar manner? (on a pc it used to be click first image, hold down shift, click last image, right mouse click RENAME) cant find this function on a mac.

Use Automator. It's in your Utilities folder. There's no way to do this by default in OS X.

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010

If you're talking about photos, you can import them into iPhoto and then use the Batch Change function to change all the names and add a number on the end (or not, its whatever you set it as).

There was an app that does any kind of files but I'd have to look it up again.

EDIT: Found It

Also in icon view, after you've dragged the box to select a batch of files or folders, if you hold the apple key you can drag a seperate box around others to select them as well.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, it's mental, meaning you have to use your mind. Mac OS X isn't Windows. It isn't attempting to be Windows. It's different. You have to give yourself time to learn the differences. Some differences, you'll like; some, you won't. Making a judgement call on which OS is "better", based on one insignificant function, doesn't make much sense, does it?

No, some functions aren't useful in every mode. The reason you can't use the shift key and grab a range in the icon view is the icons may not be arranged neatly in rows and columns. Some icons may be on top of others, they may not appear in alphanumeric sequence, and some may not even appear on the window without scrolling. Therefore, that functionality is inefficient, compared to simply clicking and dragging over the range that you want.
You can do batch renaming and MUCH more with Name Mangler.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Name Mangler isn't free anymore, which is why I stopped recommending it. You can use it 25 times before you have to pay $10.
Thanks for mentioning that! I didn't realize they started charging! I can say, however, that it's one of the rare apps that I wouldn't mind paying for! I use it extensively and find it very helpful!

Actually, it appears it can still be free. It's just that after 25 launches, you get an annoying registration reminder each time you use it, unless you pay.

shippouk

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
So, to rename more than one file, you have to download a program to do it?
Otherwise I have to select the files in a different view where I cant see exactly what I'm selecting?

Weeeeiiiiird!

Shippo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.