Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benleivian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Anyone know of a way to enable the keyboard clicks while the phone is on silent? The only thing I could find that comes close is keyvib, however I really don't want the phone to vibrate.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Anyone know of a way to enable the keyboard clicks while the phone is on silent? The only thing I could find that comes close is keyvib, however I really don't want the phone to vibrate.

If I am reading this correctly, you put your iPhone on silent and are wondering why the keyboard is not clicking?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
He wants the phone on silent, but make the keyboard click.....CANT happen

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
He wants the phone on silent, but make the keyboard click.....CANT happen

Why wouldn't it be possible? Apps can make sound when the phone is on silent. It's not like the silent switch disconnects the speaker or something.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Why wouldn't it be possible? Apps can make sound when the phone is on silent. It's not like the silent switch disconnects the speaker or something.

They can I suppose, but I just checked a few and non make sound when silent is switched on.

Keyboard clicks are a system thing, silent switch turns off systems sounds, hence no clicks when in silent mode. :)

Can someone code an app to reverse this? Possibly, but it would have to modify the way the phone currently works I believe.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
They can I suppose, but I just checked a few and non make sound when silent is switched on.

Keyboard clicks are a system thing, silent switch turns off systems sounds, hence no clicks when in silent mode. :)

Can someone code an app to reverse this? Possibly, but it would have to modify the way the phone currently works I believe.

Apple's documentation asks that developers make their programs silent when the silent switch is on. Turn your silent switch on, open the iPod and play a song. Bam! Sound.

There's probably just a plist somewhere with settings like "make the keyboard silent when the silent switch is on," just change that and it should work.

I mean, we hack our phones for the very purpose of modifying the way it currently works ... Can he do it? YES! Do any of us know how to do it? Apparently not.

benleivian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Yeah, I'm aware making the iphone click when it is on silent would make the whole "silent" thing stupid. Just wondering if there was a hack to make it work because, well I like the clicks. The only other workaround I can think of is making silent audio files to replace my ringer and alert tones.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Why not just make a silent ringtone, sms receiving sound, and calendar alert? That should eliminate all sounds that could pop up when the phone is not on silent.

benleivian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Googled a bit, check this out:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f126/44335.htm

Download the plist there and mess around with it, it looks like it could be your solution.

Awesome, thanks for finding that. I opened the file in property list editor and here is a section of the dump that may do the trick. Maybe I'll mess around with it this weekend:

Code:
	<key>TouchTone</key>
	<dict>
		<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOff</key>
		<array>
			<string>Beep</string>
		</array>
		<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOn</key>
		<array>
			<string>Beep</string>
		</array>
	</dict>

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I think touchtone is the sound for the dialer. I think there was a section in the plist called Key Click, or Keyboard click, I don't remember.

benleivian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I think touchtone is the sound for the dialer. I think there was a section in the plist called Key Click, or Keyboard click, I don't remember.

Maybe this one:

Code:
	<key>KeyPressed</key>
	<dict>
		<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateOff,RingerSwitchOff</key>
		<array>
			<string>Beep</string>
		</array>
		<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateOn,RingerSwitchOff</key>
		<array>
			<string>Beep</string>
		</array>
		<key>RingVibrateOff,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOn</key>
		<array>
			<string>Beep</string>
		</array>
		<key>RingVibrateOn,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOn</key>
		<array>
			<string>Beep</string>
		</array>
	</dict>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.