Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Hi very new to this and this is my first post/thread so hope i am in the right section and someone can help. think it may be best to outline what i work off:

I have an ibook G4 which connects wirelessly to a netopia router via airport card (under keypad on laptop)

Recently came across Evocam and sounds like great software as just what i wanted to keep an eye on my dog whilst i am at work

but the problem i am having is that i can not view this webcam remotely (eg from work) I think i have tried every avenue but no direct help hence my query is being posted here!
So what have i done so far:
downloaded the 15 day free trial (not going to buy unless it works)
got that going ok and interface showed IP and 8080 port clicked on view in browser and hey presto it work - but that is on local "internal" network and wont work over internet - so found out about port forwarding static IP etc so set a static IP which starts 192.168..... and got up router browser and opened/configured port to 8080. - still not working then was told i need my public IP when configuring the IP in the airport network page (sys pref - network - airport) so i did this and again came up fine on evocam interface but then realised I had no longer internet access so had to revert back to the original IP's, sub net mask DSN numbers so i could go online to see what i did wrong which is where i am now.

I understand from other forums and FAQ's that this is suppose to be pretty straight forward but i don't no where i am going wrong so this is my question need help to set up evocam on ibook through wireless and configure airport/ip/router CORRECTLY to make this work.
I have been in contact with evo support team over a number of emails but it all general info i am given and no step by step MAC process (for instance it says go into base station to port map view airport admin untility I go to this but no base station shows up for me to click on or re-configure is it because i just have apple airport card and not base station.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help or know the steps i should follow to get this up and streaming my dog while at work

All help appreciated many thanks in advance sorry if long this is my first time setting a thread/post
Cheers
BF:confused:

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
streaming

Hi yes i'm using a router (netoptia) and when i am connected to the internet I can view the webcam stream internally on my local network but what i found out was that i am suppose to be using an external IP / static IP?? I followed the guides and set up static IP "I am not very up on networking so.." and opened my ports even opened an 8127 port just incase my router was blocking 8080 and all firewalls are off from what i can gather - i think it is this section i think i am going wrong i put in the 192.168....IP into web browser but was told that this is not my public IP and wont be able to view as it only works on local network - so found my public IP and tried to configure this to airport again might have gone wrong here! as this did not work at all and lost all internet conncetion which meant i had to go back into sys pref - network - airport drop down menu - configure and reset to original settings - i hope i didn't ramble too much as a newbie i don't if i am writting to much but suppose just want to outline as much as i can so someone like yourself might see the problem (also should state went onto dysdns.com to get ip but to be honest dont know what good or bad this did - any help is much appreciated many thanks
BF

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
streaming

Hi yes i'm using a router (netopia) and when i am connected to the internet I can view the webcam stream internally on my local network but what i found out was that i am suppose to be using an external IP / static IP?? I followed the guides and set up static IP "I am not very up on networking so.." and opened my ports even opened an 8127 port just incase my router was blocking 8080 and all firewalls are off from what i can gather - i think it is this section i think i am going wrong i put in the 192.168....IP into web browser but was told that this is not my public IP and wont be able to view as it only works on local network - so found my public IP and tried to configure this to airport again might have gone wrong here! as this did not work at all and lost all internet conncetion which meant i had to go back into sys pref - network - airport drop down menu - configure and reset to original settings - i hope i didn't ramble too much as a newbie i don't know if i am writting to much but suppose just want to outline as much as i can so someone like yourself might see the problem (also should state went onto dysdns.com to get ip but to be honest dont know what good or bad this did and cant seem to get any port mapping or base station settings in airport admin utility it just all blank is this because I only have airport card connecting to my router?- any help is much appreciated many thanks
BF

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
How exactly is your network built? Modem, router, how macs are connected etc.

Also try to use shorter sentences, since your last post is very hard to read.

you will need to use dyndns if you are not using a static external IP.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
A few paragraph breaks wouldn't go amiss either. ;)

AirPort Admin Utility is for use with AirPort routers only. It won't work here.

Where are you going to configure the router?

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
router

In response to network setup - basically all i have is netopia router (supplied by my broadband/telephone provider) I then have an ibookG4 which only connects wirelessly via the airport card within the ibook? no other macs connected.

On the dyndns comment yes went to dyndns.com set up an account but to be honest don't know what i am to do with this exactly!

and I configure my router at IP http:192.168.1... "inserted to web browser" and get web router browser (white screen blue text with router info) then access expert mode and configure port there.

I have tried Evocam FAQ but to no avail hence my post here thinking that it may be the way I am setting up IP and airport on my ibook that is where i am going wrong.

Hope this easier to read and paragraph breaks are welcomed - as a newbie don't know whats too much text so my apologies

your help is appreciated and many thanks in advance

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
It seems to me that you are on the right way! ;)

Basically you need to do the following:

1) configure your ibook to use a fixed IP (you already did that in the network pref panel)
2) configure the portforwarding on the router of a specific port to the IP address you set in point 1 (if you don't use 8080 which may be blocked by your ISP, you will have to change that in the webcam software too). (seems like you did that too).

To be able to connect from the internet (from outside your local network) you need the IP address assigned by the ISP (not the IP you set in point 1). The problem is that the external IP will usually change from time to time and here is where dynDNS is useful.
DynDNS will give you a customized address (something like myaddress.dyndns.org for example). When you try to connect to that address the dyndns service will redirect you to the current external IP of your router.

So here are the steps (you must do this on ibook from your local network):
3) Login in your account on dynDNS.org (or create a new one)
4) select "My services"
5) Select "Add Hostname"
6) enter the Hostname you desire and select the desired domain (just right of it)
7) click on "Use auto detected IP address..."
8) Click on the "Create Host" button.

Now you should enter these informations in the router, dynDNS configuration page. Try looking in the manual for how to do that.
(An alternative to configuring the router with that informations you can download this tool form the DynDNS site:

http://cdn.dyndns.com/dyndns-setup-mac.dmg

and configure that. It will update the IP on their server when it changes on the router).

Once you did that you should be able to connect from a computer outside the network by using the address you entered in point 6 and the port you decided to forward to your ibook.

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
many thanks

Hey cheers for that however you make it sound so simple I am about to go into a meeting now so won't get a chance to check this out till later but thanks very much will follow your instructions to a tee and hope it works again many thanks and will let you know how i get on
Cheers
BF:D

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
nearly there

hi thanks so much for that much clearer and def on the right road however downloaded that dyndns updater but it too new for my 10.3.9 mac so went and sourced older version got it but when it goes to retrieve user info or hosts? it reckons it can't find it even though i put in my dyndnsdomain.whatever.com?

so can i still use this or do i go to router web browser and try and configure there but have been looking for that dyndns configure page and can't locate it can you assist

again many thanks for above steps and as i said nearly there!!

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
but when it goes to retrieve user info or hosts? it reckons it can't find it even though i put in my dyndnsdomain.whatever.com?

Did you enter the username and password of the account you created in dyndns when you entered the address in that application?

What error do you get?

To configure the DynDNS on your router we will need the exact model you are using. Best thing would be to search in your user manual for Dynamic DNS service and how to enable/configure it.

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
correct login

hi yes used same log in username and password to Add user in Updater - then says it is going to retrieve info and then and error message comes up saying:

"could not download any user information. The user will be created without any host"

went back and logged onto dyndns.com and checked and all is activated so can't see problem?? I am not using most recent version of updater as it wont load on my mac 10.3.9 but the older 2.0 version is so that is what i am using and seems to go through every step until it gets to above error message?

have to root out my router mannual to try that way but any insight to above will be welcomed

bluefishJD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Thank you

Hey misterredman - operation dog watch is now up and running streaming live over external internet!

was up till the small hours of last night but through your help and direction eventually figured it out! (dyndns.com was the key area i was missing|)

got to download older version of dyndns updater - afraid to turn off laptop now incase i loose it!

But got a mate to check remotely and the dogcam is now working so i just want to say many many thanks for help, guidance and patience and also for your time replying to me i only hope i can help someone on a matter to the same degree you have me.

Again many thanks you saved my sanity ( i would have cracked up trying to figure this out on my own) and saved my laptop as it nearly got flung at the wall in frustration!( but i would not do that to a mac:) and i recently invested in a 24" imac 3.06GHz just waiting on its arrival and get to go through the whole process again but at least now - thanks to your help - i know what i am doing
Cheers
BF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.