Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I have a video scene that has a picture frame hanging on a wall in it. I would like to replace the content of the picture frame with a different image. The camera is not moving, so the frame's position on screen is fixed. The new image would have to be pasted just over that part. (There is movement in the background, so I can't just use a giant still image for the entire shot.)

Any idea how I could do that? Preferably in iMovie, or another application that I don't need to spend money on? :)

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
In iMovie '09 (but only '09 to my knowledge), you can use the "Freeze Frame" feature. This also works in Final Cut Express.

Just go to the frame you want to make still, right click and choose "Add Freeze Frame".

fvkxf8.png

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Hmm...not sure if that is exactly what I am trying to do...it's tricky to explain.

I don't want to freeze the entire frame, cause there is movement on the left side of the screen. I just want to have a still image "hovering" over one part of the screen in a fixed position, while the scene is in motion.

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I know how to do it in Final Cut, but not in Imovie. In final cut, you just add a new video layer above your video, put the picture in it, shrink it to the size you want, and then drag it over the picture frame in your layer 1 video.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
You can do picture-in-picture in iMovie 09. There's no reason that you couldn't use a image instead of video footage. Size it up and drag it over the picture you want to cover up.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I don't have iLife 09...

However, I found a way to do it in 08. You can overlay an image while the video is running. By giving that image a transparent background, you can have it cover only part of the screen, with the video running in the background.

But in another unexpected turn of events, I just ordered Adobe's CS4 Production Premium (Student), which contains Premiere. That should probably do the job! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.