Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I think I did a control click on an application trying to make an alias following a webtip and now I have a blue dot when the app is highlighted, or if I'm not clicked on the app it shows up highlighted blue. what does this mean and how do I get rid of it? I tried control clicking the item again and it's still there. It's just annoying to look at. Ideas? I googled it, I'm sure it's some Leopard feature but I dunno what it is, thanks!

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
You, sir, have discovered the "Label" feature of Mac OS X. Secondary-click on the application, and at the bottom of your contextual menu will be "Label:". You'll want to then click the "x" and that will remove the blue label. Alternatively, you can select the app and do a "File" "Get Info". In the inspector window, towards the bottom, will be the same "Label" options.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
You, sir, have discovered the "Label" feature of Mac OS X. Secondary-click on the application, and at the bottom of your contextual menu will be "Label:". You'll want to then click the "x" and that will remove the blue label. Alternatively, you can select the app and do a "File" "Get Info". In the inspector window, towards the bottom, will be the same "Label" options.

LOL thank you very much.. so is this just so you can more easily recognize apps that are used more often for grouping etc? nice..

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Personally I use it to keep track of which files and folders I have completed work on, for a particular project. For instance, with any movies I have ripped, they are labeled red if I haven't tagged them yet, and blue if I've backed them up to another device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.