Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Go into system > library > core services > loginwindow > show pakage contents (right click) > contents > Resources > English.lproj > AboutThisMac.strings

From in here, you can change most things. Change the bottom one like ""ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_L3CACHE_FORMAT"" to whatever text you want

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
This would only be a problem if the System Profiler used the same strings to display its information.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
This would only be a problem if the System Profiler used the same strings to display its information.

But that is assuming someone checking out a machine knows about the system profiler too-- if someone was just showing a system to a potential buyer that was new to Macs, they might just pop up the "About This Mac" window to show them the "spec". Just another way to look at it!;)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So if the "About this Mac" was altered, would the system profiler be correct?

Assuming it generates its information in realtime and not from some system variables stored in a file or database, yes. If not then it too would be suceptible to the same trick.

zKarp

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
New York
Any way to edit the Mac OSx and Copyright info? I want to fool ppl i got leopard and make copyright 2009 also after change name of Mac OSX :D

This is what I have so far.

*Edit Got logo to work. Had to reboot. Its abit choppy but fixing it up

Attachments

• About Mac.png
    About Mac.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 441

XALAX98

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
About this mac - Yosemite

Is there a way to modify 'About this mac' on Yosemite? I managed to modify the memory, but i would like to modify the processor and graphics as well.. anyone knows? :)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Just because someone can use some information in a malicious manner doesn't mean that access to that information should be limited.

After all, if you want to build a bomb, you can find the instructions on the internet. But, if you have knowledge that could be used for nefarious purposes, and therefore don't want to share it, that's up to you, and no one else.

XALAX98

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I don't want to use it for stuff like that. It's just cool, to have it saying xeon rather than intel core 2 duo for example.. either way, the real specs can be seen on the first page of system profiler.. therefore, it could not be sold as a better machine.. i would just like to modify the first about this mac window, that pops up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.