Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I'm trying to print a story from Carve, which is formatted so you can print it in Acrobat Reader using both sides of each page. Only I can't.

The settings in Acrobat 6 don't seem to want me to do this. How can I do it, please?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
If you don't have a printer designed to do duplex printing, you have to print all the odd pages, then flip your stack over and print all the even pages. This is handled under the "paper handling" menu option in the Print dialog box.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
munger, nope. Only odd pages, even pages or all pages, plus reverse print order in that dialogue box.

The Layout dialogue has Print Both Sides, but it's greyed out.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It's only going to be available (not greyed out) if your printer can automatically handle two-sided printing. Can it? This is typically only an option on top-of-the-line laser printers.

If it can, make sure you've got the correct printer driver selected in "page setup." You might need to download a new driver from your printer manufacturer. If one is not available, getting much more into the specifics of printer drivers is a little out of my league--GIMP print and all that.

The "poor man's option" is to print all the odd pages, reload the paper in the printer upside down, then print all the even pages.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by wordmunger
It's only going to be available (not greyed out) if your printer can automatically handle two-sided printing. Can it? This is typically only an option on top-of-the-line laser printers.

Some HP Ink Jet printers can do this (either out of the box of via an optional add on). I've got a 990Cxi that shipped with the duplexing unit as standard. Works great in OSX.

Maritan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
I usually print out the even pages first and then the odd pages - in this case, at the end, the pages are already arranged in correct order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.