Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icecold0913

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
NOLA
So I'm assuming this is the same deal as last time where this offer is only available to new customers and not to existing customers looking to upgrade and renew their contract?

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I don't know the details.....but I am seriously considering this......I have been torn on whether to wait and see what is coming in June. what would yall do?

I am going month to month on alltel now.

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
It's been there for the last two days...

Quick question for people though... I am currently on a 2 year contract and lost my iphone 3g ..AGAIN!

The first time i bought it i got it at the $299 price, the next time i had to pay $499 the full retail price! which came to $540

Now my question is, if i add a line to my at&t contract. Purchase the iphone 16gb for $199, and there after cancel my contract... I know i will have to pay the $175 ETF (early termination fee) but that only adds up $395 so is it really easier to do that? or am i better off buying it at a full retail price??

p.s. I dont care if its a refurb, with the all likely hood of a new iphone coming out over the summer i just need one for a couple months..

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
It's been there for the last two days...

Quick question for people though... I am currently on a 2 year contract and lost my iphone 3g ..AGAIN!

The first time i bought it i got it at the $299 price, the next time i had to pay $499 the full retail price! which came to $540

Now my question is, if i add a line to my at&t contract. Purchase the iphone 16gb for $199, and there after cancel my contract... I know i will have to pay the $175 ETF (early termination fee) but that only adds up $395 so is it really easier to do that? or am i better off buying it at a full retail price??

p.s. I dont care if its a refurb, with the all likely hood of a new iphone coming out over the summer i just need one for a couple months..

It will cost you more than 395 to do what you mentioned above. Let's see, 199 for the phone, 35 activation fee, prorated + first months bill = 130+, and the ETF of 175.

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
How is that possible? You have to have 30 days of service to keep the phone.

So is that only the $9.99 to add a line to my family plan that already has 2 lines?

Ok, so... $199 for the iphone... adding a line to my bill $9.99 ... activation fee $35..and $175 ETF.. comes to $420

420 still beats 540 but what type of pro-rate am i looking at here?

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Is this true?

LINK

AquaX

Just a word of advice, not meant to threadcrap, but be sure you want an AT&T refurb. The refurbishment is done by AT&T, not by Apple, and AT&T doesn't have the manufacturing facilities to rebuild/remanufacture iPhones. These are simply software wiped, then tested. Furthermore, they only have a 90 day warranty, not the full year that an iPhone purchased from Apple will have.

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Picture1-5.png

Interesting to note that the AT&T phones are "Independently Tested". However, they say they have a 90-Day warranty and show a link for Apple.

So I would imagine if it does mess up before the 90 days you would be able to go to Apple and get one of their Apple Refurb's.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
sounds false...apple normally backs up refurbished products with original warranty

here is the text from apple.....guess the question would be if the iphones are apple certified?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
Frequently Asked Questions:
(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
* is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
* is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
* is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
* includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
* is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
* is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* Substantial savings
* A fully functional unit with complete documentation
* The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support for Mac, and up to two years of world-class support for iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Picture1-5.png

Interesting to note that the AT&T phones are "Independently Tested". However, they say they have a 90-Day warranty and show a link for Apple.

So I would imagine if it does mess up before the 90 days you would be able to go to Apple and get one of their Apple Refurb's.
Actually it says 90 days or more....

Link: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/sharedSegments/iphone3GRefurbPopup.jsp

Normally you would get any remaining warranty based on the original activation date of the phone. Some individuals have reported that they have been able to get Apple to reset their warranty status. Your results may vary...:)

Dave

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
sounds false...apple normally backs up refurbished products with original warranty
That is true for an Apple refurbished device.

AT&T and now Best Buy are offering "refurbished" iPhone 3Gs that have not been throught the Formal Apple refurbished process. So as I posted above your experience with getting a new 1 year warranty will vary by individual.

So individuals have reported that they even got more then 1 year total as the original purchaser had also purchased AppleCare.:)

Dave

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So is that only the $9.99 to add a line to my family plan that already has 2 lines?

Ok, so... $199 for the iphone... adding a line to my bill $9.99 ... activation fee $35..and $175 ETF.. comes to $420

The iPhone plan is $60 because you have to have data. I'm pretty sure it's not a ten dollar extra line addition.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

If you are on a FamilTalk plan;

Activation: $26 (FamilyTalk add-a-line)
Add-a-line: $9.99 one month
iPhone 3G Data Plan: $30 one month

Dave

deratka

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
I bought an 8gb refurb at Best Buy 8 days ago for $149. Now I could have bought a 16gb for $199 at AT&T. Do you think there's any way to turn my 8gb into AT&T and get a 16gb refurb (paying the price difference of course), since I am still under the 30 days? It's probably just wishful thinking because I would think I'd have to return it to Best Buy if I wanted to. Thanks for the advice.

madlib

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
I bought an 8gb refurb at Best Buy 8 days ago for $149. Now I could have bought a 16gb for $199 at AT&T. Do you think there's any way to turn my 8gb into AT&T and get a 16gb refurb (paying the price difference of course), since I am still under the 30 days? It's probably just wishful thinking because I would think I'd have to return it to Best Buy if I wanted to. Thanks for the advice.

pretty sure you could best buy has a 30 day price guarantee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.