Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Well just recently my MacBook (bought 2/17/2007) started shutting down by itself. Seems to happen after long use (3hrs) and when it starts to get hot.

Also noticed screen doin a "fizzle" when using a thumb drive. no idea.

Anyway went to Apple and dropped it off. They said they will run some stress tests on it and get back to me.

I know there are a few things out there about this but wondering if any of you have experienced this recently or at all?

No warranty either. sux. So if it is a logic board issue not sure... or if its a heat sink issue? Not sure what that entails to get it repaired.

I was not expecting them to take the MacBook right then and there so i was sorta concerned as it has everything but... want to get it figured out.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
they found nothing wrong.

yet it happened again tonight.

weird thing is it only happens when its on batt power. so now i'm thinking i have a shot batt? the meter says 44% but I only get 2 lights, is that right?

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
check it out

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 526

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Just an aside, but 25months, and 4 cycles?

Yikes, that's killer on the battery...gotta unplug it every now and then, at least once a month IMO and kill it a bit.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Just an aside, but 25months, and 4 cycles?

Yikes, that's killer on the battery...gotta unplug it every now and then, at least once a month IMO and kill it a bit.

I see it says 4 cycles but that cannot be correct. No way.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
1. Go to the Apple symbol (menu) at the top left corner of your screen.

2. Go to "About This Mac", and hit "More Info"

3. Using your trackpad or mouse, select "Hardware" from the left-side list, then "Power".

4. How many cycles does it say on this page? :confused:

Anyway, I can't help you with the random shut-downs. Sorry. :eek:

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
frustrating, i guess i am going to leave it plugged in and see if it shuts down by itself. if it does not then it must have something to do with the batt. but i'm surprised Apple did not find anything. They said the macbook is fine. little does the "genius" knows...

what about the batt meter? when i press it at 50% it only lights up 2 dots. Does this sound correct? or does that not even matter... the next step would be to use the MB with it plugged in to see if it shuts down by itself. if it does not then i guess i got a batt issue and a new one is in order

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 304

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
did my own testing.

left macbook unplugged and it shuts down at 48%. Press button on batt and it blinks. Plug it in and let it fully charge up again.

Once gone green let it stand for 2hrs and powered it back up. Batt level says 100%. Used it unplugged and watched level go down by the minutes. at about 40% it shuts down again.

Plugged it in and let it charge back up over night and let it stand there for the day while I went out.

Tried again and at around 40% it shuts down...

but when i get the batt info it says health is "good" as you can seen from my prior screen shot. i don't know, new battery i guess???

edit - when left plugged in (A/C) it has NOT shut down so...

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
It is a battery issue - sounds like you should "invest" in a new one..

Apple have a battery warranty extension in place but the normal cut-off is 300 cycles although it might be worth asking them........

Chrislap

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
I have the same problem, but when its plugged in. If I try to turn it back on with one push of the power button it starts to come on then shuts right off. I have to hold the power button down until it beeps, then it resets and works fine. For a while.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Unfortunately, your cycle count is over 300 so there's a slim chance Apple will do anything for you. You're probably looking at purchasing another battery.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
iMetalG5, I had the same problem with my macbook (core duo)
It happened to me when my charge cycles reached just over 80, when on battery power it would randomly shut down once the battery power was anywhere under 40%
I carried on using it until cycles reached around 120 and researched what the problem was. I got it from John lewis so sent it to the company I have warranty with, they tested it and replaced the battery.
I think you said yours was over 300 cycles, so I dont think you could get it replaced for free, sadly.

brodenz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Mondays

hey my mac is doing the same thing and in addition when i start it up the HD will spin fast and slow and keep changing back and forth and nothing run right if it even boots everyone has good luck with their mac who i know but mine was made on a monday

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.